Google Search Query Spikes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

If some third world country was smart enough, it would offer citizenship to Americans looking to flee for a mere $25,000. Then it would get some of the best and brightest minds from the US, and gain substantially in development and trade.

From ZH

The Google Search Term?

Renounce Citizenship

[​IMG]

Interestingly enough, the dispersion of the searches:

[​IMG]

http://www.sovereignman.com/expat/r...-fastest-growing-search-terms-in-google-9536/

“Renounce citizenship” is now one of the fastest growing search terms in Google

November 9, 2012,
    Santiago, Chile.

According to Google’s trend analysis, keyword searches for terms like “renounce citizenship” have soared in the past week.

graph renounce1 Renounce citizenship is now one of the fastest growing search terms in Google

Is it any wonder? Millions of people are disconcerted, dismayed, or outright disgusted at President Obama’s victory, and they sense a continued decline of civil liberties and economic opportunities.

The frustration and apprehension is understandable. I can’t begin to tell you how many emails we’ve received over the last few days, mostly from US citizens who reached their breaking points, asking “where can I get a second passport?”

A second passport feels like a way out– a solid insurance policy. And that’s true to a degree. But let’s talk about what a second passport is… versus what it isn’t.

Most importantly, a second passport is like an insurance policy. Rather than protecting you from risks of fires, floods, and fender benders, though, a second passport helps protect against sovereign risks.

Throughout history as once powerful empires have slid into terminal economic decline, political leaders have routinely resorted to plundering their citizens. Capital controls, exchange controls, price controls, and even direct confiscation of savings.....

(more after the jump)

2. pspr

pspr

Someone needs to write a book called, "How To Screw A Liberal" or "How to Screw Over Your Liberal Neighbor". It would be a best seller.

3. Max E.

Max E.

I have both my Canadian and U.S. citizenship, but you would like the canadian system even less than the american one, except that Canada definitely seems to have alot less parasites on the books than the U.S.

4. JamesL

JamesL

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you still subject to US taxation for 10 yrs even if you get citizenship someplace else?

5. Max E.

Max E.

Whether you are right or wrong, Good luck to them on getting it, If i make the decision to leave.

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yeah, fuck'em.

7. Technically, yes. If it's determined by the US Treasury that you're renouncing your US citizenship to avoid taxes, the IRS will demand that you continue to file and pay for 10 years. From a practical standpoint, it's very difficult for the IRS to collect taxes from someone who's not a US citizen and living in another country.

My wife is an Australian citizen and we're thinking of moving to Australia with our daughters. It would be easy for my kids and I to get Australian citizenship and renounce our US citizenship which really has no value anymore.

8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

You are. But anywhere you make money internationally will not report to the IRS if you are paid locally and not as an expat. Income is not reported to the IRS, therefore the IRS has no knowledge of anything you make. If you have a foreign passport, you could trade under that passport with a foreign entity in a foreign address and they would have no knowledge or obligation to report any trading income, interest income or bank accounts to any agency in the US. For all intensive purposes, they would think you simply a citizen of the country you presented a passport of.

I know a bunch of "Expats" in Moscow who have made lots of money over the years. They are paid in roubles, keep their money in the bank (converting it to sterling, euros, whatever) and never report a cent to the IRS. The IRS has no knowledge of them even existing in some cases, as they have been off the US radar for well over a decade.

And none of them have renounced their US citizenship.

Max could use his Canadian passport for wherever he went, and there is no Canadian obligation to pay taxes on anything if he is out of the country. Therefore, no foreign agency would report back to Canada anything, and certainly not the US.

When I get an international position with my company, I plan to use my wife's citizenship (Russian) for as much as I can.

9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Max, doesn't Canada have a balanced budget obligation? I can't remember, but I thought there was one year where Canada has a surplus and issued checks to it's citizens. Or did I imagine that?

10. Ricter

Ricter

Nope.

#10     Nov 9, 2012