Google privacy violation

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by oraclewizard77, Feb 13, 2010.

1. byteme

byteme

#21     Feb 16, 2010
  2. cstfx

cstfx

what if you revert your email format back to the "older version" as available along the bottom? Does that help secure your info since there is no buzz or chat option present?

#22     Feb 16, 2010
  3. byteme

byteme

I don't think that will stop your privacy from being violated. It will simpy be hidden from you but people can still be "following you" and can potentially see who is in your social circle i.e. who Google has automatically decided you are "following" - most frequently e-mailed.

The best way is to simply not have a Google Profile. In addition, Turn Buzz back on and then click the options to unfollow other people and to block people that are following you. You can also make sure any of your activities aren't automatically Buzzed by disabling the services: Picassa, Reader etc.

Hopefully, Google will come up with a one-click total disable function soon, if they haven't already, otherwise I'll have to dump it.

#23     Feb 17, 2010
  4. I think found another work around to get rid of Buzz. I am not sure this is new due to the complaints of Buzz, but they sure don't talk about this in any article.

After you log into gmail, go to "Settings", its on the top right hand corner of the page.

Next, click on Buzz, you will see in red letters, "Disable Google Buzz", click on it.

Note, this did not seem to do anything for me since I never turned on Buzz in the 1st place and never created a public profile. Also, then go back and turn off buzz like I mentioned at the start of this thread.

If this does not work, I think its time to think about joining the dark side of the force, and getting an e-mail account from Microsoft. Its more likely to give you a blue screen of death then f with your privacy.

#24     Feb 17, 2010
  5. :( So aptly said. Painful yet hilarious! :( :D :(

#25     Mar 3, 2010
  6. tallpaw

tallpaw

this post worries me as I use 2 gmail accounts and I do send some sensitive emails. Just out of curiosity is yahoo mail more secure than gmail ??

#26     Mar 5, 2010
  7. I think Google has already change their privacy features about Google Buzz in regards to this.

They should be both secured, I believe.

#27     Mar 9, 2010