Google phone to cost $179, debut Oct. 22?????????

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Sep 23, 2008.

1. S2007S

S2007S

Why do they insist on calling it a GOOGLE phone, its not a google phone, all it is is their software on a phone. They really have to stop hyping this so called "google" phone. I dont understand they hype at all. After nearly 2 years you would think the Iphone would have a compeititor, as of yet nothing really. I can say this 1st hand because I own the Iphone and can tell you I really was waiting for something similar to come out and to my knowledge at the time the only thing close was the samsung, used it and its nothing compared to the iphone.

Google phone to cost $179, debut Oct. 22

7 minutes ago

NEW YORK - The first cell phone running Google Inc.'s mobile software looks something like Apple Inc.'s iPhone and has a large touch screen, but it also packs a trackball, a slide-out keyboard and easy access to Google's e-mail and mapping programs.

Google made its debut as a cell phone software provider Tuesday at an event where wireless carrier T-Mobile said it will begin selling the G1 phone for $179 with a two-year contract. The device hits U.S. stores Oct. 22 and heads to Britain in November and other European countries early next year.

The phone will be sold in T-Mobile stores only in the U.S. cities where the company has rolled out its faster, third-generation wireless data network. By launch, that will be 21 cities, including New York, Los Angeles, Houston and Miami.

In other areas, people will be able to buy the phone from T-Mobile's Web site. The phone does work on T-Mobile's slower data network, but it's optimized for the faster networks. It can also connect at Wi-Fi hotspots.

The data plan for the phone will cost $25 per month on top of the calling service, at the low end of the range for data plans at U.S. wireless carriers. And at $179, the G1 is $20 less than the least expensive iPhone in the U.S.

Sergey Brin and Larry Page, Google's founders, made a surprise appearance at the launch event. "It's just very exciting for me as a computer geek to be able to have a phone that I can play with and modify and innovate upon just like I have with computers in the past," Brin said.

He said he'd written an application for Android already: When a user throws the phone into the air, the program records how long it takes until it lands, using the phone's built-in motion sensor. Brin acknowledged that the wisdom of including such a program with an expensive phone is dubious.

"We did not include that one by default," he said.

Page said the mobile phone industry, which sells 1 billion units a year worldwide, was a tremendous opportunity for Google.

Google is giving away Android, the software that underlies the G1, for free, and opening the operating system to third-party developers who can create their own programs. Google hopes that in turn, mobile phones will provide even more ways for people to interact with the company's advertising network.

2. vv111y

vv111y

that's sounds pretty good.
    The iphone is great, but the pop-up keyboard was too small, this sounds better.

pics?

3. eagle

eagle

You won't like to take the name from nowhere, as people won't know and won't buy it. You take the name from the darling well known one. The psychology effect is the most important, don't care much about accuracy.

4. [​IMG]

5. S2007S

S2007S

eeek

Im sure the teenagers will love it.

6. eagle

eagle

Yes, those crazy kids will enjoy surfing and chatting. The end of SMS.

7. Cant' deny Apple is slick that thing looks like shit.

Anek

8. lately

lately

They screwed up with it. Apparently Apple is the only company who still understands the importance of simplicity. Almost seems like they cutoff extra screen size to fit the ugly logo on the front.

9. eagle

eagle

I do agree, they've failed for the eye-catching. Hopefully, the software is reliable and ease of use and last but not least voice quality of course. Any way, for voice quality nobody can compete with Motorola CrystalTalk™.