Google IPO--Will it goose the internet stocks?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by AAAintheBeltway, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Google's upcoming IPO will be heavily covered by the media and will no doubt be a huge success, and put a fantastic valuation on the company. I think it stands a good chance of giving a boost to the entire sector. If that happens, it could be the catalyst to turn the market around.

2. http://www.google-watch.org

Btw if you have google toolbar
    6. Google's toolbar is spyware:
    With the advanced features enabled, Google's free toolbar for Explorer phones home with every page you surf, and yes, it reads your cookie too. Their privacy policy confesses this, but that's only because Alexa lost a class-action lawsuit when their toolbar did the same thing, and their privacy policy failed to explain this. Worse yet, Google's toolbar updates to new versions quietly, and without asking. This means that if you have the toolbar installed, Google essentially has complete access to your hard disk every time you connect to Google (which is many times a day). Most software vendors, and even Microsoft, ask if you'd like an updated version. But not Google. Any software that updates automatically presents a massive security risk.

5. Google hires spooks:
    Matt Cutts, a key Google engineer, used to work for the National Security Agency. Google wants to hire more people with security clearances, so that they can peddle their corporate assets to the spooks in Washington.

3. Why did you have to tell me that? I love to Google Toolbar!

4. I doubt it. I'm sure the Google IPO will go up significantly, but it is unlikely that it translates to the whole internet sector.

5. OnGoing

OnGoing

It just increases the supply and focus the interest on that stock. I think it will actually have an dampening effect on the rest of the sector short-term. Long-term harder to say. If there are good earning reports coming in from the major rest of the sector, Google with its positive earnings will assist, but obviously not boost the whole sector on its own long-term....

6. Bugsy

Bugsy

Very unlikely

7. Overnight

Overnight

You definitely win an ET award for this year's oldest thread bump.

Hell, the guy you are replying to you hasn't been seen here for 14+ years, never mind the age of the thread.

8. Bugsy

Bugsy

I was curious what news was happening back then.

• The 2000 crash.
    • Looking at the QQQ chart the market didn't look good from 2000 to 2004.
    • And even a few years after the GOOG IPO the market was still sluggish.

9. Millionaire

Millionaire

And back in 2004 you still got half decent interest on cash. Why risk money in internet stocks that had been crashing when you could get a risk free return.
    The overnight interest on the cash in my IB trading account was almost the same as the commission i was paying for day trading futures with them.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    #10     Dec 21, 2021
    AKUMATOTENSHI likes this.