goog - a bloodbath in the making

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by dividend, Jun 1, 2005.

1. And I just thought of something else and Google doesn't have any paid services? am I correct? All their revenue comes from advertisers....so if the economy hits the skids and advertisers cut back their advertising budgets, where will that leave Google?

I even posted before that they are the king of online advertisers and I was very bullish on them..but after giving it a lot of thought, if advertisers is their only income stream, what then is so very special about them?

#61     Jul 21, 2005
  2. toben

toben

Who cares where the stock is going - we know its going somewhere. Write straddles on GOOG. ITs free money!!!

#62     Jul 26, 2005
  3. i cant imagine anyone paying to use google... there would simply be another competitor that would do it for free or with ads.

if u think about it, every single one of their products can be duplicated by either yahoo microsoft, etc... this is because for the past __ years they've been acquiring technologies, not inventing them. so it is only a matter of buying out the competition.

btw i dont hate google. i still use their search from time to time but ive started get better results from other places... just try the same search on other engines and u will be amazed how much "other" information is out there.

#63     Jul 26, 2005
  4. as I stated before, imho, the search feature inbreeds information -- or at least, seems to.

#64     Jul 26, 2005
  5. I don't hate google either..and had been very bullish and have made very good money on them with call options but I am getting kinda tired of seeing "ads by google" at just about every web site I visit.....I also use Yahoo everyday for news, sports etc..and I noticed their ads are getting larger and more in your face and it is starting to annoy me...I wonder if there will be a backlash eventually from the public over so many ads on internet sites...

I can accept the Internet having ads but I will stop visiting a site if their ads interrupt my visit...for example, every time Yahoo has those huge ads for those animated screen savers, I notice the pages take longer to load and those floating ads that go across our monitor screen makes me want to take out my 357 for some target practice..

I stopped watching television years ago (except for very rare or special programs..such as 911) due to the massive amount of commercials....Take a pro football game for example...after scoring a touchdown, they go to 10-15 commercials..then when they come back they show the kick off to the other team and immediately stop the action and go to another 10-15 commercials....Just was no longer enjoyable for me to watch....

#65     Jul 26, 2005
  6. Who cares if it's going down or up. Go long when it's going up, sell short when it's going down. Make money, bottom line.

#66     Jul 27, 2005
  7. DTM

DTM

Very bullish on the Dow and GOOG.

Thoughts anyone?

#67     Aug 2, 2005
  8. Google has unique technology and is years ahead of competition (Yahoo and Microsoft).

Yahoo has had every chance to get its act together, but it is still lagging considerably. 2yr ago it was awful. Last 1yr things have improved with Yahoo, but not in a decisive way.

On the Internet, a search engine has to walk a delicate balance between commercial and non-commercial info. The search results have to include real info, not just stealth commercial junk.

Also Yahoo SE has been more agressive pushing its own products and creating conflict of interest between its own subsidiaries and its advertiser clients.

I think the next big thing for Google could be a e-money application (a better paypal). Other than this, I can't think of any application that could really change profits.

Having said all that, I think GOOG is grossly overvalued in absolute terms (I think Hussman has a good point). Ofcourse, compared to all the other grossly overpriced junk (e.g. in $RUT) it could be considered cheap.

#68     Aug 2, 2005