Goodbye to rip-off Britain

Discussion in 'Economics' started by 2cents, Mar 31, 2008.

1. I was thinking of spending several months in the near future in London or a suburb of London, no more than 30 or so miles away from London.

Can anyone recommend what towns around London I can find 1 or 2 bedroom apartments for rent in a safe neighborhood that are under $1,500 per month, equivalent to under 750 pounds?

Also, if you can recommend some good websites to search for apartments, I would appreciate it.

#21     Mar 31, 2008
  2. This is a useful site http://www.net-lettings.co.uk/, it gives areas and average rents in and around London. For GBP750 you don't need to move that far away from Central London, just the other side of the Thames to the City (Greenwich Village is a very nice area, near the Millenium Dome, very cosmopolitan, middle of the map on the right, just under the green line which is the Thames. The City is around Canary Wharf) you can easily get a flat (apartment) within your price range. If sharing isn't a problem there are some great shares available too, maybe hook up with a couple of traders (or tradesses!)

What are you planning to do, is it a working holiday or maybe you're a full-time trader?

Or you could always stay in Scotland, for £750 you could probably rent a whole town, eh Jock :)

#22     Mar 31, 2008
  3. Windsor Castle...

#23     Mar 31, 2008
  4. Try http://www.timeout.com/london/

Get an idea of places to go and things to do,also has a section for flats to let/flatshares in Greater London.

#24     Mar 31, 2008
  5. Stick to the 'burbs. You can get a train to central London (Waterloo) from Epsom, Surrey, in half an hour. Epsom is very safe, half of the Chelsea FC multimillionaire players live in the area.

Don't buy over-priced tat, you f&%king idiot. Starbucks tastes crap, McDonald's is just as bad for half the price, water is drinkable out of the tap in the UK, torrents for music, football is for fans not your 3 kids (unless it's being watched on satellite), buying an £83k Lexus and paying £300 for 2 days in London you've got more money than sense, take the tube instead.

#25     Mar 31, 2008
  6. Thanks for the link.

What does pw and pcm stand for?

I assume pw is per week?

#26     Mar 31, 2008
  7. pcm = per calander month

#27     Mar 31, 2008
  8. magari

magari

101 things to pss you off about England/London

1. The fact that I pay probably more than 50% tax on my income but that I have to teach my daughter the subjects that her idiot teachers cannot be arsed to.

2. I am all for helping people in desperate need but LOVE the fact that I have to support all these useless fckrs too lazy to work.

3. The joy of having the government close down the post offices.

4. The fact that it rains 80% of the time but we run out of water in a hot summer.

5. Driving on a motorway is an exercise in avoiding all the moronic drivers but have you ever seen a traffic cop giving out a ticket? No, much easier to sit on your arse and let the cameras catch easy violations.

6. That Boris Johnston is a serious contender for mayor of London.

7. A cashier steals from Fortnum and Mason and gets 2 years in jail; a non drunk reckless driver kills a woman and gets a suspended sentence.

8. How EACH and EVERY government department is beyond useless but manages to piss money away faster than George Bush on hopeless projects that a corner shop owner could manage better.

9. The fact that my 50% tax gets me the right to go into hospital and have a 60% chance of catching a superbug.

10. That we deport people to get tortured in Zimbabwe but don’t deport people who have committed crimes.

11. That today I had to pay £1 for a fkg courgette and it will probably taste like a cardboard egg carton.

12. That when you go to a top restaurant you will fork out £300 on a meal and it is still tasteless.

13. That although ken Livingstone allows utility companies to dig up a main road and then do no work for weeks on end while traffic crawls past every day.

14. That you have top civil servants who earn in excess of £150000 but they cannot see the importance of deporting foreign criminals or the downside of releasing a convicted terrorist early because of overcrowding.

15. That there are so many people who drink the sewage that Starbucks calls coffee.

16. That I have to pay for people who get sick because they eat or smoke themselves into a coma.

17. That the FSA’s Head of Retail is on a salary of £380 000.

18. That the Tories who are probably more incompetent than Labour will get back in next time

19. That the Daily Mail is still going.

20. Add blah blah blah

#28     Mar 31, 2008
  9. lol, great list!

But come on, Boris would be great as Mayor he's a national treasure, he can't screw it up any more than Red Ken has, or can he.......100 focus groups later and he still can't get his head around the impracticalities of the 'Widen the Thames' scheme!

#29     Mar 31, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

Even though we told King George to STUFF IT, we still ended up a lot like you.

#30     Mar 31, 2008