Good Trading Book for Beginner

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mACcAboy, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Threei

Threei

I guess my point was that you make it sound like first part was written out of pure desire to write about myself and carries no value.

#21     Jul 11, 2005
  2. threei's book is good, i have it. but not the first on your buy list (there are books more important).

"How I made $2M in the stock market" by Nicolas Darvas" - classic.

"Trading for a Living" by Elder - good. He's not really a trader but the book is very good for a beginner, i doubt anyone will say otherwise.

Once you're more advanced:

Mark Douglas - The Disciplined Trader ; Trading in the Zone (read both and in that order).

Master Swing Trader by Alan Farley

#22     Jul 11, 2005
  3. ozzy

ozzy

I will never buy another book in my life. The reason's for this are listed below.

1) The best way to learn anything is by doing it! Two words "Screen Time".
    2) An incredible amount of information can be found on the Internet.
    3) I now have one of the most extensive libraries of trading related books (in PDF format !!!)

:D

Wizard of oz

#23     Jul 11, 2005
  4. hearing what other people have to say (i.e. reading books) can alert you to concepts you didn't think about, and that you may not conceive by yourself in your life time. not because you're not smart, but simply because it won't cross your mind.

it's always good to dedicate a small part of your time to hearing what others have to say, let it be via books, internet or whatever.

i found that the books have much more quality than most internet sites. it's just that when someone writes a book he puts a lot more effort into it, than when he writes a web page.

one thing for sure though - the books won't "teach you to trade". you'll have to teach yourself, or find a proven mentor (those do not market themselves on the internet).

#24     Jul 11, 2005
  5. Neither are books about trading.

The website of the market you are going to trade in - thoroughly.

Examples:

US bonds - Treasury website on what a bond, note, etc actually are. ADR - Bank of New York. ETF - whoever the underwriter is. Dow, Nasdaq SnP futures - components and how weighted. Real basic stuff.

The other is the textbook IB gives away free to its cutomers - Trading & Markets by Larry Harris.

There's a lot in both I don't get as easily as others and I pay for it.

Good luck.

Geo.

#25     Jul 11, 2005
  6. Vadym: .Sorry I recommended your book. Hard for a trading author to get any respect around here. :Al

#26     Jul 11, 2005
  7. Threei

Threei

Albert,

don't be :) I am not a stranger to bashing, and this was not even that (Kevin, am not putting you in bashers category, you just expressed your opinion which I wanted to make a bit clearer; I am not that naive to think that my books should fit anyone and everyone :)). I have enough "thank you" e-mails in my inbox regarding all my books and courses to cure any insecurity providing I had one to begin with, lol. And, if you recommendation helps someone find what he looked for, you did the right thing - after all if one doesn't like a product he is always entitled to return and refund.

#27     Jul 11, 2005
  8. Interesting that Kevin should find fault with Vad's book because Vad devotes part of it to personal experiences, yet Kevin recommends RSO, which is devoted to personal experiences from front to back.

#28     Jul 11, 2005
  9. hcour, do you know of and have an opinion of the Wyckoff videos by Harry Pruden?

#29     Jul 12, 2005
  10. KevinK

KevinK Guest

But I believe RSO is a better book for the beginner. If you have read RSO you will know that he chronicles many of his trades, the logic behind the trades, and addressing when to enter/exit the trades. I found Vadym's book not weak, as I did not say that, I said I think someone with a limited budget could invest in better learning books. RSO chronicles many different trades and brings you through the physiology of being a trader. There are many technical analysis books which I believe would also be more beneficial because I believe a thorough ability to analyze charts can be very beneficial to a trader.

Now let's not make things up...read my posts, I stated, someone with a limited budget could get books more helpful to the trader. And I believe RSO contains different types of personal experiences than those in TOTR.

#30     Jul 12, 2005