Good Remote AND Automated Trading Prop Firms?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by ezbentley, Mar 12, 2009.

1. NazSpaz

NazSpaz

Sterling ActiveX, but have found that you should only request 300-500 syms through one machine, depending on how active the symbols are you are looking at, so I use many logins to get all the syms I watch. I know there are better/more efficient methods out there, but I like the easy factor of it.

#11     Mar 13, 2009
  2. NazSpaz

NazSpaz

Not sure the strat but would recommend to you to NEVER trade unattended. I usually obviously try to avoid even bathroom breaks when my system is running, and if is not a quick #1 will shut down for even those.

For me automation just started as a way to do what I did on a small group of stocks (the most I could handle manually) and apply it to more and more stocks then just kept growing, sounds similar to you. And some things you just can't verify until seeing how the real-world P&L comes out, agree with you there for sure.

#12     Mar 13, 2009
  3. bespoke

bespoke

I have one overclocked computer scanning 1000 stocks looking for setups (handles 10000 quotes/sec). If it finds something interesting it sends that info to my other computer using another account for further monitoring and trade execution. That way I'll be looking at only a few symbols with no lag so I can get the best execution possible. That seems to work best for me.

#13     Mar 13, 2009
  4. Hi NazSpaz,

I agree with you completely. For me the main purpose of automation is to scale up the number of equities being traded, rather than fully unattended, which I agree is not a good idea.

Another newbie question is: Since I have never program any API to automate a strategy(I do have programming background though), is the only way to learn about a particular platform's API through a prop firm's demo? I have never used the high end platforms like Laser or Sterling Pro and it doesn't seem easy to get even demo from the platform providers as a small retail customer.

#14     Mar 13, 2009
  5. Hi bespoke,

Do you mind describing your data feed, software setup, and broker for your market scanning strategy? It seems pretty close to how my strategies would run.

#15     Mar 13, 2009
  6. bespoke

bespoke

I use Sterling. Their website provides examples for VB6.0, VB.NET and VC. It's enough to get your started and do most of the things you'll probably need. But it's not very well coded so you'll need to take a lot of time sifting through it and testing everything out. Check out this thread http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=125715

#16     Mar 13, 2009
  7. Thank you.

#17     Mar 13, 2009
  8. NazSpaz

NazSpaz

bespoke's post above says it all best, just sort through all the samples and even those you will have to tinker with. As you will find, so much of writing code in this business just comes down to very time consuming trial and error, it is much more of an art than a science. If you are willing to put your head down and keep pounding away on the keyboard for months and years on end, you'll get to where you want to be.

#18     Mar 13, 2009
  9. I trade with a firm that specializes in automation. I have also found out that may prop firms say they do the same but are full of shit OR better steal your logic when they see how you are doing. I have been involved with both situations and it would blow your mind who steals the logic. Do your own due diligence and find a firm that you can get a strong NDA as well who knows all the ins and outs of automation and for me co-location in the nasdaq cage with no latency was a must
    good luck to all

#19     Mar 13, 2009
  10. MGB

MGB

I wished Echo had Futures trading.

#20     Mar 13, 2009