Good Policy

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Spydertrader, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magna

Magna Administrator

As the banning of aliases and blocking of I.P. addresses has been totally ineffective against those relentless, computer savvy folks that Baron referred to here gotta say this sounds like an excellent idea. And rather than $1 per year, simply a one-time $1 membership fee would provide the same solution and greatly reduce administrative hassle. If there's no compelling reason against it, and only Baron can speak to that, it would solve a lot of problems around here. Creating multiple PayPal accounts is not easy as they make you jump through lots of hoops, and while people generally have multiple credit card accounts it's rarely more than a few at most. Anyway, I hope something like this is possible as it would clean up ET dramatically and quickly eliminate the problem children.

#11     Sep 24, 2007
  2. Completely agree.

However, its been suggested multiple times in the past here in feeback and I'm assuming the reason why it hasn't been done is that Baron doesn't like the notion of charging the rank-n-file to use ET.

Baron may also think it won't work and most of the problems will persist.

However, on the contrary, the sites that have used a payment don't get this type of crap that ET has.

Another possible solution that's been suggested multiple times is to have two seperate sections at ET.

A free side and a side that cost a fee.

* EliteTrader Basic

* EliteTrader Premium (cost a few bucks per year)

Both sides still get the advertisements et cetera from Baron's sponsors.

A membership fee for the EliteTrader Premium of a few bucks will eliminate most of the crap we see occuring in the EliteTrader Basic.

Baron can then monitor and compare the results of both sides.

I strongly suspect the traders with useful information will join the Premium side and bring in extra revenue for Baron.

Traders that just want to do what we've been seeing lately that's problematic will continue to do so on the free side.

There should also be private threads in the pay side in which traders need to contact the thread starter for permission to join the private discussion.

At least try a beta section to see how well it goes.

Mark

#12     Sep 25, 2007
  3. hcour

hcour Guest

Yeah, that's even better. Simple. Lifetime membership for a buck. That would work great. Make ET a site for grownups and get rid of the brats. Where do I sign up?

H

#13     Sep 25, 2007
  4. bi9foot

bi9foot

I never used to visit ET because of all the trashing that goes on here.

However, I have been a regular since I stumbled upon Jacks Methods done by Spyder.

Couple of thoughts... would charging a membership have brought me here? I don't know... I have seen enough of pay sites that are interested in getting a monthly fee. However once I had a chance to view the quality of Spyder's equities thread I was sold.

So how about requiring a membership only for posters, it is the posters that ruin this site. Anybody is free to read the contents of the site which is what Baron wants.

Again we are not talking a huge fee maybe, just a means of requiring a credit card. Even if one has several cards they would have the same billing address.

#14     Sep 25, 2007
  5. Knyyt

Knyyt

I would agree to the idea of paying 1$ ( or more maybe if the trash got taken out). Perhaps baron likes the #'s of members to go up for advertising revenue. So the idea that you have two levels of ET, a basic, which you could perhaps read only the posts from the front page ( Which you need to sign up for ) and not be allowed to post at the basic level, and the second level, which you pay for through paypal etc which allows you access to the whole site as it is now.

i think it's time to "improve" the offerings of this site, and above would accomplish this i believe.

( out of curiosity, i wonder how many of the 60K +/- users actually post here in say last six months, and what percentage of posts are actually from trolls with repeat nicks?)

Regards, Knyyt

#15     Sep 25, 2007
  6. I thought about the situation and I think I can make a payback to ET for the opportunity I have had here.

Times do change as is stated.

I want to thank nokhoi for inviting me here It was a good idea in those days.

Spyder has been paying it forward here for years now. There is no way to express my appreciation for his accomplishing all the things he has for the benefit of others and for so long.

I believe my presence here is outweighed by the trouble it causes Baron Robertson and his business pursuits.

My thanks to all the people who engaged with me on their pursuits and my pool extraction interests as depicted by the PVT, Sector Rotation and SCT.

I'm shutting down my membership in ET now.

#16     Sep 25, 2007
  7. nkhoi

nkhoi

rock on Jack, I can easily see your works here will multiply thousand folds in coming years. :)

#17     Sep 25, 2007
  8. I wonder, what would happen if other members decided to adopted Trader28's tactics.

Then when you logged on, you would be in the equivalent of a "no holds barred" internet verbal battlefield.

You could say anything you wanted to anyone else. If they objected, or if you were banned, you would simply invent another IP address and handle and "voila", you are good to go again.

Of course ET would no longer be such a "cool place" (as Baron once suggested), but hey its just one of the "casualties of war" so to speak. In some respects it wouldn't be much different than it is now. It must be quite a liberating feeling for Trader28 to be able to insult Baron with impunity as he did in this recent thread, starting with the sentence "perhaps you are just stupid"

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104751&perpage=6&pagenumber=2

One thing you have to admit, if he wants to, apparently Trader28 can bring ET to a complete stop, and nobody here seems able to do anything to stop him...:)

Steve

#18     Sep 25, 2007
  9. Thanks Jack. I appreciate your work here. You and Spyder have given me the framework to become a very successful trader.

I will pay it forward.

Have fun.

#19     Sep 25, 2007
  10. bi9foot

bi9foot

Jack, thank you very much for your generosity to freely give away your methods. The work you and Spyder have done is beyond amazing and it has been a very enriching experience for me.

It was a pleasure meeting you. Take care and enjoy. Who knows, our paths might cross again.

I get the feeling that your wish to spread wealth is going to be a reality as folks pay it forward.

#20     Sep 25, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.