Good poker player = good trader?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by a529612, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Wise words Don. I think it was Warren Buffet who said something like, You should work at that thing that you would be willing to do for free. {paraphrased}

#51     Jun 11, 2006
  2. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

I was referring to NO LIMIT CASH GAMES only. The correct strategy for Sit and Go's is definitely TAG and not LAG as you have a limited amount of chips.

#52     Jun 11, 2006
  3. guys... doesn't Johnny Chan write a column in Trader (monthly) mag. Don't know if that says anything about the aforesaid/debate discussion. Hmmmmmm! :D

Ice
    :cool:

#53     Jun 11, 2006
  4. Dax,i play TAG @ cash (ring) as well.

i just don't play as much ring, as i do tournaments.

just to make sure we are on the same page, I would define the "T" part of TAG as seeing under 30% of flops when playing @ 10 player table

#54     Jun 12, 2006
  5. Erik Seidel has a feature in this month's issue. He used to be a floor trader. The article goes into a little bit of depth about it.

#55     Jun 13, 2006
  6. bl82

bl82

Perhaps the obvious has been stated elsewhere, but good traders and poker players are the result of shared skills/traits, such as: strong/quick mathematical skills; deep knowledge of probability and statistics; ability to control emotions; understanding of psychology, especially vis-a-vis other participants; patience; discipline; etc.

Add all these things up and you are going to be good at both trading and poker, but you can obviously only devote full-time study of one -- but the other can be a fun hobby, which you are naturally adept at.

#56     Jun 13, 2006
  7. great - just got my copy today

#57     Jun 13, 2006
  8. and you can also make money at both

making money at poker is not very difficult.

#58     Jun 13, 2006
  9. Just won my seat to the WSOP main event so psyccched!!!
    Sorry had to brag:p

#59     Jun 13, 2006
  10. Huge!! Win it through satellites online?

#60     Jun 13, 2006