Good option trading software needed?

Discussion in 'Options' started by mizhael, Jan 12, 2009.

1. dmo

dmo

Hoadley's Excel add-in package will integrate with IB in the sense that it will grab real-time prices from IB and import them into a spreadsheet. I don't think it will download your positions or anything like that.

#11     Jan 14, 2009
  2. I would stay away form OptionVue, its quite a disappointment. Additionally I think the TOS system will soon offer a comparable back trading set up.

#12     Feb 7, 2009
  3. What is TOS system?

#13     Feb 8, 2009
  4. byteme

byteme

TOS = thinkorswim

They have some decent analytics in their platform and it is/was an options-centric broker. You'll probably find it easier to use than IB's TWS.

As I said in one of the dozen other threads you started on this topic, thinkorswim had some rudimentary option-related backtesting capabilities last-time I checked and they are likely to improve on it in the near future.

#14     Feb 8, 2009
  5. spindr0

spindr0

If you're not aware of it, IB has a program called DDE that will allow your Excel to be updated with real time quotes. So you can write anything that you want in Excel and be LIVE.

I don't know what you're looking for or if/where they are available but chances are, you might look for existing Excel applications and then customize them.

#15     Feb 8, 2009
  6. I'll look that up, thanks for the info.

#16     Feb 8, 2009
    #17     Feb 8, 2009
  8. Do IB or Tradestation have decent back trading platforms? TOS is a bit behind the curve here at the moment and I would like to find something with basic visual analytics and at least a 1/2 hour by hour back trading feature which keeps an accurate P/L for multi-leg spreads. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

#18     Feb 22, 2009