Good movies you may not have heard of

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hapaboy, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Just off the top of my head "City of God" has gotta rank near the top. When it came out, I stumbled upon it almost by accident. With little press or publicity, I was blown away with what turned out to be one great film.

#11     Mar 2, 2006
  2. Saw that recently, it was good.
    Raw, gritty, disturbing, and with subtitles.
    Thumbs up.

#12     Mar 2, 2006
  3. I've been wanting to see that. Every review I've read has just raved about it.

#13     Mar 2, 2006
  4. No man's land.

A movie about the meeting of a serb soldier and a couple of muslims during the war.

Very good flick-

#14     Mar 2, 2006
  5. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

I found this movie to be extremely depressing. I guess I don't like those scarface type of movies.

Anyone seen Equilibrium (2002) ? Cool movie.

#15     Mar 2, 2006
  6. Thanks for the heads up. A similar movie about the Balkan war I thought was pretty good and didn't get much publicity was Savior, with Dennis Quaid.

#16     Mar 2, 2006
  7. Best movie I've seen in months:

Lord of War with Nicolas Cage and Jared Leto.

Incredible dialogue & international scenery- and it never slows down. This would have been one of the best movies of all time, if they had just kept out the didactic Liberalism, made the actors look their character's age, and twisted it to be less predictable.

...and somehow the film still rocks! Four and a half stars.

#17     Mar 4, 2006
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Some films off the top of my head that I've listed before on this site:

"The Spanish Prisoner"

"True Romance"

"The Big Kahuna"

"Y Tu Mama Tambien"

"The Believer"

"Prime Gig"

"American Psycho"

"Garden State"

"25th Hour"

"Igby Goes Down"

"In the Company of Men"

"The Last Supper"

"Wonder Boys"

I'm sure I'll think of more.

#18     Mar 5, 2006
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Let me add this one. "Event Horizon". Kind of came and went at the theaters but this is one creepy film. Very under rated.

Also another creepy one that was actually shown on basic cable today was "Dreamcatcher". Creepy movie, but great writing, and great cast.

Oh and I left out "12 Monkeys". Great must see film.

#19     Mar 5, 2006
  10. I really wanted to see that in the theatres. Unfortunately, up is down in Hollywood these days. Seems the film just couldnt be taken out of the theatres fast enough. Presumably to put in one of those teen targeted PG-13 versions of a 1970s horror film.

#20     Mar 5, 2006