Good light reading vacation books

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gunslinger, Jul 30, 2006.

1. I am going to be spending about a week on the beach, and will do the standard Barnes and Noble run. I usually go strait to the authors I like, for fear of getting a book that I just cant get into. Any good easy reading novel recommendations? Ive read most of the best selling authors, King ,Koontz, Grisham, Hunter, Brown etc..Anything off the beaten path that I dont have to reread the sentences to understand what they're talking about?

2. Ogeima

Ogeima

Asimov, if you like old sci-fi. Very simple English.

3. hcour

hcour Guest

I'm a big mystery/thriller fan. One of the best I've ever read is Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. (He also wrote Mystic River.) I can't rec this book highly enough for those who like the genre. But if you do get it, don't read any reviews or even the description on the back or the inside jacket cover, because it will give away too much. This book has one of the most amazing plot twists you'll ever read.

H

4. Cool, I will get it blind. Remember youre now responsobile for 10 hours of my life.

5. hcour

hcour Guest

Great. When you finish, please lemme know what you think of it.

H

6. While Shutter Island was a decent book, I would recommend Lehanes earlier novels with Kenzie and Gennaro.

7. hcour

hcour Guest

While I'll take issue w/the characterization of "Island" as just "decent" (and unfortunately I can't argue the point because it'd give away too much about the story) I absolutely agree that the Kenzie/Gennaro series is one of the best out there of the detective genre. "Gone, Baby, Gone" is particularly good.

H

8. Arnie

Arnie

Just read "Beach Road" the ending is unreal.

9. If you haven't read The Kite Runner already, then go with A Simple Plan by Scott Smith.

10. hcour

hcour Guest

A few more excellent thrillers:

Bad Men - John Connolly
    Without Fail - Lee Child
    Bones of Coral - James W. Hall
    Silent Prey - John Sandford
    Prince of Thieves - Chuck Hogan
    City of Bones - Michael Connelly
    Purple Cane Road - James Lee Burke

Harold

#10     Jul 31, 2006