Good job Fed!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by kashirin, Sep 28, 2007.

1. I've concluded that fighting inevitable recession here is soley politcal. Btw, the dollar is now beginning it's death spiral. down nearly 1% today.

#41     Sep 28, 2007
  2. there are some hamsters on CNBC predicting no recession....

I want some of whatever they're smoking

#42     Sep 28, 2007
  3. They've got these..

[​IMG]

If you don't have one, you need to get one. There's just too much free money out here to not have one.

#43     Sep 28, 2007
  4. gnome

gnome

If they measured GDP the way it SHOULD be measured (number of widgets produced) instead of measuring the "$ Value of widgets produced", we could easily be in recession right now... but hardly anyone would know.

With the money-pump and denial of the true inflation rate , they can give the "appearance" of growth... but what's really being called growth is actually mostly inflation.

In spite of "head in the sand denial", the real inflation rate is much, MUCH higher than the "2%" bilge we are fed daily.

#44     Sep 28, 2007
  5. Just my take........

There's No Inflation. It just "Feels" like it.

If I can pay $3.50 per gallon for gasoline; then it's not high enough. I still eat in the finest restaurants, and although I may not like what I'm paying for food at the grocery, I haven't cut back. There are no shortages or long lines anywhere I shop. With the exception of Manhattan real estate and Yankees tickets, there's plenty of supply and demand.

However, next year going into the election is another story. I guess it sucks to be the next president of the US
    :confused:

The next guy, or gal, will be left holding the bag at the crime scene. :eek:

#45     Sep 29, 2007
  6. I can't stand the folks on TV that try to paint such a bs rosy picture of everything...unemployment is low (in China and India maybe), the stock market is at all time highs (that's because real estate is crashing), the dollar will rebound (once interest rates are at 20%), and there are smiley faces and rainbows and little angels with pretty little pink bows floating all around.

#46     Sep 29, 2007
  7. Please don't quote stock turder. He is a brianwashed Cramer-Kudlow permabull not seeing the big picture.

Yep, that will be $100 for five pints. Thanks for coming. Please pay in GBP next time wanker says the barkeep.

#47     Sep 29, 2007
  8. sprstpd

sprstpd

But by definition this is inflation.

#48     Sep 29, 2007
  9. Order that pint at standard pub in City of London and it will be £3.30 x 2.03869 = $6.73

As for petrol/gasoline 1US gallon = 3.785 litres and we're at £1/litre so $7.72/US gallon so you'd need to leave some over if you plan to drive anywhere

Out of interest, I've noticed big local day traders in London increasing their clip size in the US futures markets due to the $ value decreasing, it's gonna hurt the american local a lot more to take the hit than a foreigner on the same size, commissions, so can see a lot more short term market bullies dominating outside of america.

#49     Sep 29, 2007
  10. I'm no economist but aren't there two types of inflation and the outcome is the same.

1: Wage inflation = More money = higher demand = inflation

2: Price inflation = higher prices = cheaper to buy today than tomorrow = higher demand = inflation

It looks we have a problem with price inflation, but Government statistics don't report it.

They also use the substitution theory. If price of product x (steak) goes up we will substitute it for product y (chicken).

So what happens when x & y go up? Maybe the Government inflation figures say we go without hence no or low inflation.:p

#50     Sep 29, 2007