good gambling book

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by watchdaride, Sep 20, 2007.

1. ssss

ssss

An American Hedge Fund: How I Made $2 Million as a Stock Operator & Created a Hedge Fund

TimothySykes.com

Possibly through book and advice selling ?

#11     Sep 21, 2007
  2. All good flicks and I would add "Rounders" to the list.

#12     Sep 21, 2007
  3. I second The Poker Face of Wall Street. Really fun read with some cool history stuff in it too.

#13     Sep 21, 2007
  4. #14     Sep 21, 2007
  5. Owning Mahoney.

Its about the dark side of gambling and teaches all the wrong things to do. Like not knowing when to get out with profits.

#15     Sep 21, 2007
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

in fact one of the bigger problems i face in poker....not having a stop gain....sometimes i hit 3 times buy-in within 30 minutes of sitting down and i wont get up and leave...cuz oh well i just sat down...big big problem if you ask me...peace

#16     Sep 21, 2007
  7. rosy2

rosy2

8. <p>Larry Merchant is the long time commentator for HBO Boxing. Before that gig, he wrote a book entitled The National Football Lottery. That book got me to gambling on football. The book turned me on to technical analysis. I was quite good at betting the NFL because there are relatively small sets of information to analyze. But as it often is with gamblers, my winnings on the NFL, I frittered away on college football, college basketball, and pro basketball. But I was able to churn a lot of money, and that allowed me to learn a great deal about my psychological construction and how it was suited to taking risks. I think sports gambling is a good parallel to daytrading because you are dealing with technical analysis as well as market psychology. Sports gamblers must mix their understanding of "the public" with technical analysis. In a way I think sports gambling is more difficult than daytrading. In gambling, it is either win or lose and rarely you can get a tie or a push. Daytrading has the possibilties of a lot of nearly neutral outcomes which you can learn to work in your favor. If you can manage what are possibly negative outcomes into neutral outcomes, then that it is a positive. In sports gambling the end point is either a win or a loss plus the vig. In daytrading you have control over the end points which is a huge advantage over gambling.

#18     Sep 28, 2007
  9. SEBEN

SEBEN

Do you give Sammy B "comps" in the bathroom?

#19     Sep 28, 2007
  10. bankei

bankei

I liked "Fortune's Formula". It isn't specifically about gambling but rather a historical development of the 'Kelly Formula' and how Edward Thorp created his 'card counting strategy' with the help of fellow geniuses at Bell Labs. It includes a wide cast of characters like J. Edgar Hoover, Rudy Giuliani, Michael Milken, Warren Buffett, and assorted crooks, Nobel Laurelates, and mobsters.

#20     Oct 1, 2007