Good Coffee

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by omegapoint, Sep 19, 2008.

1. trendo

trendo

Are you using a blade grinder or a burr grinder? A burr grinder is the way to go. It will give you a finer, more evenly sized grind.

#11     Sep 19, 2008
  2. bronks

bronks

Is this what you're talking about; 'cause I didn't see it on the cafebritt website.

http://www.bluemountaincoffee.com/

#12     Sep 19, 2008
  3. Tgregg, where are you finding beans at $3? locally?

#14     Sep 19, 2008
  4. TGregg

TGregg

Locally I can get OK green for $5.

The basic problem is coffee comes from the wholesaler in ~130 pound bags, and wholesalers are reluctant to send just one of `em. Green keeps for a year or two, but that's still a LOT of coffee. So when I first started roasting, I tried to put together a group of people to split a big order. No luck.

Then I found there are groups of people that'll buy a pallet of green, split it up and mail it out to all the rest of the members.

Search on green coffee cooperatives. You'll soon have 50 pounds in your stash like me :D Then you can say to your friends in public "Hey man, I got 50 grams of Peruvian left in my stash. Let's party!"

#15     Sep 19, 2008
  5. Got a bag of roasted beans by mistake, (?!?), didn't have a coffee grinder-so mortar and pestle/tea towl/hammer, half an hour later, enough for a cuppa.

If you don't like watery, try this-make it in a saucepan, say three good tablespoons of ground coffee, maybe 2-3 cups of water, and gently simmer stirring for about 7-8 minutes or so, don't boil it or it will get a burnt taste.

Don't filter anything, just serve with lots of sugar-it settles in the bottom, just dont scull the dregs.

Or goog "turkish coffee" , say goodbye to watery coffee-and filters.

#16     Sep 20, 2008
  6. Thanks ac, I'm going to try that.

#17     Sep 20, 2008
  7. the biggest mistake made is not using enough coffee grounds. don't skimp here!

another consideration is the quality of the water used. bad tasting WATER will never make good coffee. the coffee, now matter how expensive, will never be better than yoor water.

a good WATER FILTER can remove chlorine and processing byproducts and junk that can give bad taste.

I use AQUASANA. Best water filter on market.

http://www.aquasanastore.com/aq-water-filter.html

removes 99%:

http://www.aquasanastore.com/water-filters.html

Makes great coffee.

#18     Sep 20, 2008
  8. Put rum in it, works every time. Hold on, I'm getting my Boston Cooking School Cook Book from 1893. Be right back.

#19     Sep 20, 2008
  9. Filtered Coffee (French or percolated)1896 from the 1914 version.

Various kinds of coffee pots are on the market for making filtered coffee. They all contain a strainer to hold coffee without allowing grounds to mix with infusion. Some have additional vessel to hold boiling water............... key, boiling water..

Boiled coffee...... 1 c Coffee, 1 egg 1 c cold water, 6 cups boiling water.........

Scald granite-ware coffee - pot . Wsh egg, break , and beat slightly. Dilute with one half the cold water, add crushed shell, and mis with cofee. Turn into pot, pour on boiling water, stir thouroughly. Place on frong of range and BOIL for threeminutes. If not boiled, coffee is cloudy; if too long, too much tannic acid is developed. The spout of pot should be covered or stuffed with soft paper to prevent escape of fragrant aroma. ........ stuff in thereabout egg shell 'clearing coffee.' etc. But in this and french press , coffee is boiled.

I just got back from my favorite flea market, and found two glass coffee pots. If you notice, in any diner they usually have Bunn drip machines. BUT THEY RUN ON 220!!! I had them in my store, great. But the home machines don't heat the water to a high enough temperature to brew the coffee.

It is very difficult to find glassware. But I think if you do, and meld it with these other methods, you'll be very happy. Well, you may be miserable, but the coffee will taste better.

There are old pyrex pots all over the net, but the guts were made of glass, so, it's difficult to get a complete pot. But if you can get your hands on any glass pot try it. Or try the first recipe with boiling water and grounds; see if you like it. Hell, every cowpoke in the world drank it that way, and they won the West.

#20     Sep 20, 2008