Good charting for indicators of indicators?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by blackchip, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Does anyone know of a good reasonably priced real time charting system that allows indicators of indicators - like a moving avg. of a moving avg. that doesn't require programming or has programming in pre built modules?

Something like Investor RT would be great, but as far as I can tell doesn't allow indicators of indicators.

TIA.

2. I guess it depends on your idea of "reasonably priced". I'm not sure if there are any that will allow you to do that without any programming, but tradestation's easylanguage is very easy to use whether you're a programmer or not.

TS might not meet the reasonably priced criteria though. TS is around $250 a month depending on what data you need access to.

-Hoo_doo

3. Amibroker - you can create your own indicators just by dragging with a mouse or two clicks of a mouse. One time cost is $149.

4. Ive been looking at amibroker. It says it uses a dde for data feed rather than api. Do you know if there is much of a difference between these two types of feeds?

5. I use Amibroker with IB as a data feed (api) and backfill. It works ok for real time charting. Real time version costs $ 229, EOD is $149.

6. I did quite a bit of reading yesterday and one of the things that make me back off a bit was that it said the feed from IB was DDE. I'll have to go back and check that again.

7. blackchip, Ensign will let you do almost anything including indicators of indicators and it's not expensive to rent.

8. Better still try Sierra Chart with IB.

It has indicators of indicators standard but:
    - you can use the worksheet to build excel like functions of indicators
    - you can write dlls if you like with c++ or use something thats already there.

Both of the latter can be very very complex if you want and faster than espl.
    And cheaper than ensign :)