Good Canadian Futures Broker?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by VielGeld, Mar 30, 2012.

1. VielGeld

VielGeld

Hello all,

I am looking for a good Canadian futures broker. Low commissions, platform support, etc., the works.

The problem with Canada, it seems, is that we're limited in our choice of brokers for regulatory reasons or something, so I'm having a bit of a hard time finding something good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. whowah

whowah

I have an account with Global Futures. They are fine.

Used to have an account with Tradestation but they closed all their Canadian accounts for regulatory reasons. Too bad, i really liked their platform.

3. VielGeld

VielGeld

Thanks. I'll check e'm out.

And yeah, stupid regulations are limiting choices. I'm sure there's a good deal out there.

4. whowah

whowah

The problem with Canada is that there are 13 different securities regulators for our little country of 32 million.

VPhantom likes this.
  5. jo0477

jo0477

I think most futures brokers allow Canadian accounts. Global, Mirus, AMP, Advantage, etc... as long as it is futures only.

I trade with AMP/CQG from Canada with no issues - just some additional paperwork (W-8 for sure). Commish is cheap and the data is good for my needs. I've heard of issues with customer service but personally have never had a problem. I am pretty low maintenance though.

Just check out the different websites or call to confirm they accept non-US accounts.

6. http://www.interactivebrokers.ca/en/main.php

IB Canada.

7. IB Canada is not very good for futures trading. Commissions are high and the data is a steaming pile of garbage. You can get half the commissions that IB charges if you are willing to pay for some decent software.

VPhantom likes this.
  8. umm ya whatever you say. Who do you suggest?

9. Ummmm ya it doesn't take a genius to figure out with 300ms snapshot quotes you're going to miss a few things. Likewise that >$4/RT is expensive. VielGeld you should check out www.deepdiscounttrading.com . Half the commissions of IB and you can get T4 for $0.50/RT with $500 max. Even with the platform fee it's cheaper then IB.

10. He said "Canadian" futures broker.

I couldn't tell from the website where they were based. Nor who they are, or how much capital the firm has.

Are they an introducing broker? or FCM?

In this post Refco/MF Global world I'd prefer to know.

#10     Mar 30, 2012