Good books on trading stock index futures

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by helpme_please, Jul 19, 2017.

1. What are some good books on trading stock index futures? It will be nice if the book talks about short-selling using index futures as well. Thank you.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Howard

Howard

I don't think there is one. How about writing it yourself and for yourself?

Put up a chart and observe. Take notes of what you see. Spend time with this and study. Expect this to takes years and thousands of hours of your life.

propwarrior likes this.
  3. wintergasp

wintergasp

Systematic or Discretionary ?

4. Both will be of interest.

5. To my knowledge there aren't any. If I were getting started I would pull up S&P, Dow, Nasdaq, Russel, Dax, Eurostoxx, T-Bonds then watch the price only 8 hours a day for a minimum of 1 year. Try and work out all the technical reasons why people enter where they do and use this to your advantage. It's a puzzle you have to work it out. Stay in the 10% winning group. If you are young and can move to a big city then join a trading firm and learn from others. Be patient it takes years to learn and also master your own psychology/traits. GL

Ximoplanet likes this.
  6. themickey

themickey

helpme_please likes this.
  7. drm7

drm7

Reading Price Charts Bar by Bar, by Al Brooks. It is very hard to read, but many people got value from it. Not my personal preference, just echoing sentiment I have seen around here and other forums.

8. wintergasp

wintergasp

People who tell you to watch the market for 8 hours a day have no clue what they're talking about. I would encourage you to go with systematic trading as I don't know any successful discretionary trader but know many systematic - yet I work in a hedge fund and know a lot of traders.

You will find 2 types of books: a) the academic ones that have lots of nice formula but are useless, it's more for intellectual curiosity; and b) the guru ones that tell you fancy stories, doesn't work either.

Try to read this one, it's a good in between that will give you valuable knowledge and you should be able to trade with a sharpe of 0.5 - 0.6 within 3 months

this book

You'll need to learn a programming language such as Python if you've never done it, but that you can learn online (coursera, khan academy, etc.)

bikertrader, shatteredx and drm7 like this.
  9. I agree there are not many successful discretionary traders around so perhaps it is a good idea for the OP to learn systematic trading. It will certainly be a long hard road if trying discretionary trading.

10. %%
    Since i figure you[Help MePlease] are interested in profitable trading; + not limited to just SIF. Borrow or buy all Jack Schwager top trading books. Sorry, watching or working markets 8 hours a day may not help much . Try rule of 72; work price data/charts=12 hours a day for 6 days/week= rule of 72 , for 7 years....... Can be easy some , can be hard; do not try to learn trading on SIF. WHY not?? Because you start where we all do- so why leverage ignorance??
    Some say well i can't make money [much] in cash markets; Ok lose it with leverage , then; if you refuse cash markets

Good news is;market is NOT random@ all; i did much, much worse than random 1st year LOL:thumbsup::cool::D

#10     Jul 19, 2017