Good API's

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Phlub, May 9, 2005.

1. flat5

flat5

My mind is closed to bad ideas. It's called experience.

Simple question: if a library is written in C, how difficult/natural is it to provide Java bindings?

If a library is written in Java, how difficult/natural is it to provide C bindings?

Now ask the same question for C++, Python, Perl, Java, Scheme, and every other language that a user should have the choice to choose if they wish.

The fact of the matter is that if you want to provide your API users with choice, as in the original assertion, the correct language choice for the library is C. Period.

#41     Jun 8, 2005
  2. I actually like native Java implementations. Very easy to decompile and figure out the tcp/ip protocol and re-implement in my language of choice. I've done it many times successfully. :D

#42     Jun 8, 2005
  3. Any chance of the EasyAPI linking to other brokers?

MBtrading maybe?

#43     Jun 8, 2005
  4. wizardx

wizardx

#44     Jun 8, 2005
  5. ...that may be what you call it, but I beg to differ :p . What is your actual experience of developing with Java?

I'm afraid I can't agree with you there either; the only way to expose a truly platform-neutral API is via sockets. This allows end users to develop in whichever language they're most comfortable with. There really is no "correct" language.

#45     Jun 9, 2005
  6. flat5

flat5

There is a best language all things considered for library implementation of this kind. That language is C. Feel fine to disagree, and be wrong.

As for my java experience, I have extensive experience in library development and exposing APIs to app developers (as well as app development) in all of the languages I mentioned and several others, including java.

#46     Jun 9, 2005
  7. That's very decent of you, thanks.

...damn it, I'd just been lulled into a false sense of security with your previous reasonable attituted then WHAM! out comes the pedant.

#47     Jun 9, 2005
  8. Can anyone here offer insights as to why events can be missed. I have an autotrading system which sends out orders using VB. The order object is an ActiveX COM. I would send out orders such as placeorder.price=10, .symbol=IBM,etc.

The problem is that when a fill is reported to me, there are times when the system puts it in an array which then calculates my bracket orders but 50% of the time, the fill does not reach my array which results in erroneous bracket orders generation.

I am only monitoring 40 symbols. Could it be the platform itself or internet connection? I don't think it is the internet since all the fills are reported in the system itself.

Thanks in advance.

#48     Jun 22, 2005
  9. I have heard people saying that the performance of the IB ActiveX control can change if the control is instantiated in code or placed on a form in the IDE. Not sure if this could be the problem in VB, but it has applied in C++/Delphi I believe. On the form seems to be better.

Mac

#49     Jun 22, 2005
  10. What would you consider a good API. I am using a platform whose API seems to have been thrown in to accomodate 1-2 traders who are using automated system as opposed to platforms geared specifically for auto traders? Is is the speed? I've heard "rock solid" API's in these threads. What does it mean. Thanks

#50     Jun 23, 2005