Good API's

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Phlub, May 9, 2005.

1. wizardx

wizardx

Well, I don't want to get into an argument about technology issues here. That site was made using the blogger from Google, so it was free and SSL cannot be set up there. Even if it can via a paid account it's just too much trouble. It is just not worth the trouble to set up a site with SSL at this stage.

I guess the bottom line is if you don't feel comfortable then just don't buy it. Or you can contact EasyAPI and suggest an alternative way that makes you feel more comfortable. There is a trial version that you can try out for free. Remember, hushmail is encrypted e-mail and it's free. If you want you can create a free hushmail account and e-mail the info that way and it'll stay encrypted the whole way. Peace.

#21     May 25, 2005
  2. So if I understand you correctly, the IB TWS API and Cyber API are not real APIs? They both allow a developer to add on their own data/auto-trading program to the TWS/CyberX2 execution system in a way that is not available with the standard versions. What is this called, from a development standpoint?

#22     May 25, 2005
  3. Even Paypal would be a better payment method than actually emailing your cc info. At worst you can be defrauded out of the price of the s/w instead of the credit limit on your cc!

#23     May 27, 2005
  4. ???:confused:

#24     May 28, 2005
  5. What absolute rubbish. SSL/TLS is not just encryption. It is also authentication by means of digitally signed server certificates that certify that the server you are connected to is what it claims to be. To be of any value these X.500 certs must be signed by a trusted Certificate Authority such as Verisign who presumably verfiy that you are who you say you are before issuing a certificate.

As for filling out a form on a website via SSL and the information then being encrypted and emailed to the server, this is nonsense. If you believe this, I suggest you buy a book on internet security and start reading.

#25     May 28, 2005
  6. wizardx

wizardx

Those of you who are interested, just type "what is SSL" in Google and see for yourself what's ssl. Like I said, I won't get into an argument about technology issues here.

Also, like I said, if you don't feel comfortable just don't buy it or contact EasyAPI for an alternative method that makes you feel comfortable. Would you like to receive EasyAPI first before you pay? Would you like to pay by check instead? Would you like to order by fax instead?

Lastly, EasyAPI has a demo version that you can download and use for free. Test it out first and then decide if you want to continue using it.

Peace.

#26     May 29, 2005
  7. Click API in:
    http://www.interactivebrokers.com/php/webhelp/webhelp.htm
    and:
    http://www.interactivebrokers.com/cgi-bin/apiBetaControl.pl?ib_entity=us

Hope this helps.

#27     May 29, 2005
  8. Phlub

Phlub

OK - I give up. What the heck is a Proggy?

And - I really don't see what the point is in debating the proper use of the term API. Perhaps the term is not used totally correctly from an engineering standpoint, but I do not see mass histeria over this in the coder world.

#28     May 29, 2005
  9. proggie?
    = lill program.

What about calling a mouse a cat? Go ahead as you please.

#29     May 29, 2005
  10. kjsnow25

kjsnow25

before this topic veered off course, I was liking it. Can we get back to API's people like, and the substance behind them???

#30     Jun 7, 2005