Good API's

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Phlub, May 9, 2005.

1. wizardx

wizardx

#11     May 25, 2005
  2. It is sad to see how the term API is misused continuously.
    API means: "Application Programming Interface" and has nothing to do with these button pushing proggies.

#12     May 25, 2005
  3. I retract my statement. It was another broker I was thinking of that never emailed me back. In fact, lime needs about 150K shares a day. Sorry bout that!

--Stephen

#13     May 25, 2005

4. Security of payment method?

Q
    The license for EasyAPI is $29.99 per user. To Purchase EasyAPI, simply send an e-mail to easyapi@hushmail.com with the information below and EasyAPI will be e-mailed to you.

Name on credit card
    Billing Address
    Country
    Type of credit card
    Expiration Date
    UQ
    :confused:

#14     May 25, 2005
  5. I've been working with broker APIs for years and have yet to see where the term has been misused.

#15     May 25, 2005
  6. wizardx

wizardx

Hushmail is encrypted e-mail, so if you used encryption to send your info (either by a free hushmail account or any other method), the info would be secure.

Your concern is understandable. Most sites do use SSL to handle payment info. However, please keep in mind that the chances of interception is actually extremely low, especially in this case where one leg is already encrypted. Notice that there is no SSL for ET's login.

#16     May 25, 2005
  7. Is this EasyAPI thing for real?

It sounds almost like the Nigerian scam or something....

Please send me all your identity information through a non-secure channel and we will be getting back to you quickly ( by draining your account of any money in it.... )

If this product is for real, don't you think some sort of typical SSL payment scheme would make sense here.

#17     May 25, 2005
  8. wizardx

wizardx

Sure it's for real. There is a trial version that you can download for free. It may look simple but once you get the hang of it you'll see the possibilities, especially how it can reduce your commissions. People on here always complain about bloated code and wanting just a simple execution platform. Well, here's one that doesn't have bloated code, and it's simple to use. Of course as soon as you provide it, people doubt it's credibility because it's too simple.

SSL (Secure Socket Layer) is just encryption. It sounds fancy and official, but it's just encryption. Encrypted e-mail is the same thing. When you fill out a form on a website that has SSL, you are just encrypting that form information and e-mailing it to the web server.

Yes, most website that process payment information have it, but it is somewhat troublesome to set up for something like this. To get SSL for your website you need to purchase a certificate and get your web hosting company to set up you server with that certificate.

#18     May 25, 2005
  9. This is not true at all. In order to have *verified* ssl you need to get a certificae. Otherwise anyone is free to run ssl on their webserver if they want, the customer will just have a popup screen that displays certificate info and asks them if they want to trust it. Which, imho, is better than plaintext or email. Anyone who doesn't know how to setup ssl has no business selling software of any kind.

#19     May 25, 2005
  10. Sorry. API is a term belonging to software engineering. It is wrongfully applied to the frontend button proggies and leads to great confusion for many.

For example, with TT, the xtapi software is an API. It is used with the API system development kit to write applications.

What you refer to as API has nothing whatsoever to do with programming. If you misuse well established terminology, sensible communication is impaired.

#20     May 25, 2005