gone too far

Discussion in 'Politics' started by olias, Apr 6, 2011.

1. olias

olias

I realize that it's fun for human beings to argue. People love to argue about politics, and sports, etc. But what I keep trying to say is 'don't take it too far'. Some of you guys talk like you hate anyone who doesn't think like you do. When I was a kid I was one of those who was a die-hard Dodger fan, so I hated the Giants. And I disliked their fans. I really hated their players....like they were assholes or something. They were 'bad people' and I hated to see them win. This is what we do. 'Dodger fans hate the Giants and vice versa'.

One day I started to think about it and saw how stupid and crazy my thinking was. Giants players are every bit as good and worthy of winning as the Dodgers. Dodger fans are no better and no worse. WTF was I thinking all those years?

It gave me a taste for what goes on in the middle east and elsewhere around the world. We buy into the paradigm that been handed down from our parents and society. We think we hate these people, but in reality, if we met under different circumstances and didn't carry that label that makes us enemies, we could be best friends.

Anyway, this recent story should be cause for a little bit of reflection. We can't get so caught up in the 'us vs them' mentality that we take it to this extreme:

"Giants fan may have brain damage

Updated Apr 6, 2011 10:36 AM ET
    LOS ANGELES (AP)

A San Francisco Giants fan who was beaten at Dodger Stadium after last week's opening game shows signs of brain damage and remains in critical condition, a doctor said Tuesday.

Victim may have brain damage
    Reward grows to $100K
    VIDEO: LA mayor has message
    City leaders release joint statement
    Morosi: Fans must help curb violence

Meanwhile, detectives were looking into unconfirmed reports that the same suspects struck other Giants fans minutes before the attack that left Bryan Stow in a coma.

Stow, a 42-year-old paramedic and father of two from Santa Cruz, remained in critical but guarded condition at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center. He suffered a severe skull fracture and bad bruising to his brain's frontal lobes, said Dr. Gabriel Zada, a neurosurgeon."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...-case-may-have-brain-damage-040511/?gt1=39002