GOLF

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Buy1Sell2, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Headed out to play 18. Yesterday I shot 91 and the day before 89. Working on hitting inside out today.

kmiklas likes this.
  2. jem

jem

So you are hitting the ball at 6:30 or 7 an visualizing going out towards 12:30 or one?
    That worked for me for a long time. That and making sure my divot was after the contact.

you have inspired me to go out and start practicing again.

3. That's a very good swing thought (no ..... it's better than that :)). I've attended a couple of Jeff Costen/Mike Bender golf schools and they both place heavy emphasis on driving the butt end of the handle through the 7:00 to 1:00 line on the golf ball. It has made a tremendous improvement to my game and I've learned to draw the ball ... something I never thought I'd be able to do.

One of the tips they taught us was to place the logo along the 7:00 to 1:00 line when you tee it up.

4. Does this mean the butt intersects the line at a 90* angle or that you attempt to move the butt in the direction of the line?

5. vanzandt

vanzandt

One of the worst things one can do is to think too much about their swing while they're swinging.
    It is more effective if you let your swing manifest your natural body mechanics.

The most important secret to hitting the ball well is keeping your head locked in position. To this end, having a caddie will shave a ton of strokes from your game. Everyone wants to instantly look up to see where the shot has gone. It is far better to follow through with your head still locked in position. Impossible to do without a caddie or a golf partner that you work as a team with watching each other's shots.

The other key is to realize more than half your shots are at or around the green. If your short game is good, you will score well. And IMO, thats the easiest to work if its off.

Couple more things...
    Hitting the ball straight is 1000 times better than hitting it far.
    Great quote from one of those old-timers... "swing half as fast to hit it twice as far". So true.

So work on the short game, don't think too much, keep the head locked and don't follow the shot with your eyes, slow your swing down, focus on a straight shot not a long shot, and let your body's own rhythm and natural mechanics dictate your swing, not some instructor's idea of a proper swing.

I don't play anymore... but I did.

"Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears."
    - Bobby Jones

NQurious likes this.
  6. heypa

heypa

For your long game ,just just practice not hitting it harder than you can hit it straight. Then take that thought to tee shits ( oops shots} during your round. Heypa

NQurious likes this.
  7. jem

jem

absolute perfection...
    thanks..
    my sons are high school players... and I have been wanting to see them get more lag on their swing to sort of match up the way the pros hit. You can see the pros almost get the handle in front of the ball and then the club head comes through.

that swing though seems to set that up perfectly.

thank you.

8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Slightly inside out will make the ball leave the club correctly and give you a good draw for distance and topspin.

9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Hitting down on the ball will create the after the fact divot and elevate your shot.

10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

92 yesterday.

#10     Aug 5, 2017