gold's H&S top

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Wallace, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Nice chart, Wallace. I think I get the difference in our outlooks. I have been a buyer since 1992, and look forward to the next 20 years of your chart. Also, and purely to be argumentative, what gold looks like depends on where you live. The second from the bottom study on my chart is the price in Euros. So if that's what you pay for gold in, the price is rising.

#11     Nov 29, 2010
  2. It could certainly happen, but the Fed is engaging in policy that devalues the currency. Until there's a fundamental shift in that, I consider the longer term trend in gold to remain up...not straight up, but still up.

#12     Nov 29, 2010
  3. Actually I hope your right...but fear you are wrong. Nothing would make me happier than to add to my physical holdings at lower prices.

#13     Nov 29, 2010
  4. No doubt, there are variables that can temporarily push the dollar up, but I still think all things considered, gold will be higher in a year than it is today. I don't think any Korean conflict will be a reason to sell gold and rush to fiat. As far as real inflation goes, I see gas, groceries, medical costs higher than last year...yet Ben says there's deflation (I concede there is deflation in housing).

Based on the economy, I'd say the fed is either inept or it just lacks creativity and courage. If QE1 didn't achieve it's objective, I have no reason to believe QE2 will show different results. Nobody knows how it will all play out, but it's good to get different thoughts on the table for consideration.

#14     Nov 29, 2010
  5. Kindly excuse the digression, but might I ask why you are holding physical? Don't trust the ETFs? Don't trust the Gubmint?

#15     Nov 29, 2010
  6. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

I didn't imply that gold ought to downtrend (retrace perhaps), so no disagreement there. But 'Dollar down' is what I opposed.

Secondly there is no deflation in housing. The housing bubble has popped, just like .com did, just like Japan's bubbles burst. But that doesn't constitute deflation. If prices rise dramatically via extreme demand & then subsequently crash why is that deflation? Mediabanksterspoliticanos will try & sell us this notion - deflation is bad, yet it is inflation which is worse, much worse, because it is a form of stealth tax on your savings as buying power is reduced. So what is the purpose of QE? It is a matter of belief. I believe that the main purpose is to create inflation & by doing so creating a inflation based debt default. Another real bubble is in bonds where investors will stand to lose value of their holdings dramatically as governments in USA, UK & Eurozone participate in QE & by doing so create inflation.

So that further strengthens the case for buying gold, not selling it.

#16     Nov 29, 2010
  7. my previous analysis of the US$ was a move to 74 by the year end, and 70 or so at
    the end of the q1 beginning of q2
    when the $ dropped to 74.60 on Friday Oct 22/10 , it changed my opinion that we are
    now in a new $ bull market. I don't know who or how the price got down there but it
    was imo a radical change

the attached pdf is from my journal 'Wallace Euro Trades' http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=210850
    and includes a Weekly $ chart and Daily eurusd chart in particular that coincidentally
    shows imo another major H&S formation
    what this all means is that incidentally, the gold rally is over

thing is the US can no longer weaken the $ given what's coming up next year for the
    EU. one Telegraph reporter's blog related discussion whether the collapse would be
    in the 2nd or 3rd quarter - the collapse referring to the default of some if not all of the
    PIIGS + Belgium and the UK

I'm not generally a fundamental but a chartist, tho I do pay attention to changes in the
    interest rate, NFP, however what's happening in the EU and their debts cannot be
    ignored and has to be included in one's analysis, and what's happening is at RED ALERT

#17     Nov 29, 2010
  8. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

9. I live in the USA. I`m awash in usd. My paycheck comes to me in usd and everything I own is priced in usd. The way I see it, it makes sense to own a tangible alternative currency/asset that is portable and accepted worldwide.

Its not that I dont trust the ETF`s. They just dont accomplish my goals. And i`m pretty sure I would be tempted to trade them around instead of just DCA`ing every month.

#19     Nov 30, 2010
  10. Thanks for replying, and I get it. Recently I bought ten GLD (big spender) just to make myself watch it with the possibility in mind of converting some physical to GLD. The idea being that in minor crisis I could ditch the GLD quickly with much smaller spread. Of course I would keep some physical for a major disaster. I have been selling some of my older foreign coins to profit from the present price and to convert to US coins which in an emergency might be more attractive than the "funny money" coins I love so much better. Also keeping some silver. And a LOT of lead.

#20     Nov 30, 2010