Goldman..

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by TheCaymanIsland, Nov 21, 2008.

1. PortI385

PortI385

Yes but this is THE BOTTOM for GS, will not go lower at all.

#11     Nov 22, 2008
  2. #12     Nov 22, 2008
  3. america isn't preservation of "prestige"

america is complete realization of risk and outcome

#13     Nov 22, 2008
  4. The real question here ....is that is the business model still viable ?

Agreed...GS has set the standard in many ways...but the internet has completely changed the financial industry....

Revenue generators

Forming stock...

Forming debt....

Enabling ownership transfers of stock and debt....

Selling information about stock and debt...
    .......................................................................................

WIth direct access....one can perform ownership transfers electronically for 20 cents per 100 shares....

How does a brokerage merit more ?

.......................................................................................

Brokerages made their last big money pay day in accordance with debt.....

Why should debt not be transferred electronically as well ?
    Electronic brokerage is just an ownership label/name change at a specific time during the trading session....

Boilerplated Stock/Debt Entries will be required in a worldwide marketplace.....
    ......................................................................................

Stock/Bond information could be made available via a Google type business model....
    ......................................................................................

Thus the future already spells out that a qualified firm that can make the boilerplate grade should be able to walk into any bank that can provide the applications....for a small fee....

And if one can transaction 100 shares for 20 cents today....what is going to happen tomorrow....? When at the click of a mouse....one can analyze/chnage everything that they own in a few minutes....from anywhere there is a computer and the internet.... ?

#14     Nov 22, 2008
  5. When GS went public, its survival was no longer the primary concern.

#15     Nov 22, 2008
  6. Of course the other major revenue generator is trading.....

And one has to notice the conflicts....

If one provides the home base where the prices and positions are known by the house.....and thus those that have their positions housed at a place whose best interest is to trade against their positions have to be in a precarious position.....

One that houses its positions must feel some comfort that their modus of success is not jeopardized by the likes of a GS....

Also, GS has gamed the system so to speak...

Oil and other base commodities were gamed in the sense that there were no restrictions in terms of trade size/position versus size of market....

There is not a single country that is now not aware that these markets have been gamed far and beyond the normal supply demand needs of these essential commodities....It would be far fetched to expect that there will not be some form of regulation that will eliminate this type of gaming the market....

And referrring back to the issue about the expected total electronic trading of debt....

Do note where the majority of previous earnings and bonuses were paid....Off sheet debt and their derivatives....

Had these instruments been in public view....the markups would have been dramatically reduced....and the values would have been clearly visible.....

Naturally since this very category is taking down most all of the world's financial institutions....one would not expect its continuance....

#16     Nov 22, 2008
  7. JCVR

JCVR

I sold my GS earlier this week in the mid 60's and took a hefty loss, but I knew it was going lower when the market sold off and it saved me alot of money. I still think they can survive and prosper but in this market they are a target and as such they are going to get crushed during every selloff. I think it's a great trade when we get rallies and it will be a great investment when sentiment on the banks finally turns, but for now the risk of it going to $20 is still very real.

#17     Nov 22, 2008
  8. May I remind everyone that "back in the day" Salomon Brothers was THE bank and we all know what happened to them.

You'll have to have balls the size of mutant mellons to be taking a long position on GS right now.

I have had my suspicions that something smells at Goldie ever since that phucking idiot GS CFO Viniar came out and talked about 25-sigma events. If such senior execs make such stupid comments in public... well... you have to wonder what is going on in the firm...

#18     Nov 22, 2008
  9. Retired

Retired

The US economy is unraveling at an unprecedented rate. This is just the second inning. The worst is yet to come.

#19     Nov 22, 2008

10. Not to argue stats, but I went to costco yesterday (mid day Friday) and it was as busy as can be. Looked like we are in an economic boom. Barely a space empty in the parking lot. I am in San Diego. This is the oddest recession/depression you can imagine.

#20     Nov 22, 2008