Goldman Sachs' medical plan covers sex changes for employees

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by makloda, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Unusual perks: Goldman Sachs covers sex changes
    The investment bank, No. 9 on the Best Companies to Work For list, added the benefit last year as part of a push to recruit and retain a more diverse workforce.
    By Althea Chang

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- Wall Street is typically considered a pretty conservative place to work. But the classic white-shoe investment bank is loosening things up by adding health benefits that cover sex-change operations.

Not only is Goldman Sachs ranked No. 9 on Fortune's list of 100 Best Companies to Work For, it also appears on what could be a list of transgendered job-seekers' ideal employers as well.

Goldman added health-insurance coverage of sex reassignment surgery as part of a push last year to attract top talent and recruit and retain a more diverse workforce, the company said.

The surgery alone could cost an individual anywhere from $5,000 to $150,000 if they paid out of pocket, depending on their particular situation, said Pauline Park, chair of the New York Association for Gender Rights Advocacy, a group that campaigns for transgender rights. That figure doesn't include hormone and other drug treatments.

Goldman Sachs (GS, Fortune 500)' plan covers the actual surgery, as well as transgender-related prescription drugs, such as testosterone injections, said spokeswoman Gia Morón. It does not cover electrolysis and other cosmetic treatments, she said. The surgery is free under the company's HMO and PPO plans as long as patients are screened and diagnosed with transsexualism and see an in-network doctor. Drugs are subject to regular prescription copays that are typically $5 to $30 a month.

More: http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/08/news/companies/gender.fortune/?postversion=2008020809

2. :confused: :p :mad: unbelievable, I must be getting old cause that's just wrong.lol:p

transsexualism..I'm from Ohio so this'll take time to absorb.

3. The first company i ever work at, one of the directors, Jonathan became Amy.

And then he/she started dating other male employees even though they knew him before the chop..

Great company for office gossip..

4. Mercor

Mercor

Goldman is well known for going "short".
    OUCH!

5. :eek:

6. bespoke

bespoke

Are they hiring right now? A friend of mine wants to know...

7. Euwwww :p

That's just nasty and funny as hell.

Men really do just want a warm place to put it.

8. Before the chop! :D That's funny.

OldTrader

9. Can female employees elect to have "add a golden sack between my legs to me" surgery?

10. Now I understand the happenings at SAC Capital a little bit better, I think, or not ? :confused:

#10     Feb 10, 2008