Goldman Sachs bet on housing meltdown -- and won

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by jficquette, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Like Lincoln (Abe) said:

"At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we ourselves must be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."

It's an inside job.

When the next Genghis Khan or Hitler or Stalin comes along, America is going to already be too weak, so better hope those communist countries come to the rescue.

#41     Nov 2, 2009
  2. the1

the1

This is exactly correct. The walls are being weakened from within. If you research the health care reform bill you'll notice it grants the Executive Branch of Office incredible powers. The next pillar to come under attack could be the 22nd Amendment. If that happens it lays to footwork for the next Hitler inside the US.

#42     Nov 2, 2009
  3. very fair point. For the first time in any of the GS threads someone is assuming some sort of responsibility on the consumers' side. I laud that.

Of course greed has motivated lenders to also become irresponsible. Those who did not see it coming or did not even bother became the AIGs, the Lehmans, the BSs. Those who read the markets and did their homework were the GSs. Simple as that. Should I be surprised that those who lost money over the past year or two (in whatever way) now jealously watch how GS is collecting the chips? Well those were chips earned on very smart and good bets. Losers are losers are losers. What else to say...I am happy to join your camp when GS is put on trial and convicted of a massive market manipulation scam. Until then losers should shut up and rather learn from those who made the right decisions.

#43     Nov 2, 2009
  4. I spoke for myself.

About your "experience", do you think anti-Americanism is built into the genes of non-Americans? If not then maybe the reason is to be found under the surface when you start digging...

#44     Nov 2, 2009
  5. "the raw story"? LOL. Yeah Elliot knows how to make history, he is the man for the INSIDE job to summarize the past 2 years. He knows how to get the JOB done.

#45     Nov 2, 2009
  6. Jem,

I sold my house in Olivenhain in April 2004. I rented a new house from a Policeman who had bought 10 others, all new (11 total) since 2002. I told him to sell them all asap. He laughed.

John

#46     Nov 2, 2009
  7. So What? I bet on the housing meltdown as well and won.

#47     Nov 2, 2009
  8. jem

jem

I would like to buy into in olivenhain in a few years - especially if there is a second leg down. nice trade. Just about perfect timing.

I sold in la costa valley in 2003 but it was 9 months and about 30 percent too early.

#48     Nov 2, 2009
  9. jem

jem

you are barking up the wrong tree. Just because I am against bailing out banks with billions and trillions does not mean I am in favor of bailing out borrowers.

Not by a long shot.

I lost money in real estate and I cut my loses before I got negative. it almost cost me my marriage but I had to remove my wife from all serious financial decisions.

By the way the current market is great for my skills. I am making more money now than I have in years.

I am considering trading closer to full time again.

I just despise these bailouts and lack of clarity with fed and bank bailouts. It compromises our future.

I do not have a problem with GS or morgan stanley running their own businesses well. I suspect GS functions at times like our state department and our CIA. I know we do not want them to go down the drain.

I just want to see things like glass steagal put back in place. Let the risk takers take risk. Just don't backstop it with our money.

#49     Nov 3, 2009
  10. fully agree, just funny I dont see anyone starting a thread to shoot down politicians and lawmakers who have actually gotten everyone around this globe into this mess. Looks like everyone is happy (and stupid enough) to jump on the GS-was-it bandwagon.

#50     Nov 3, 2009