Goldman Sachs bet on housing meltdown -- and won

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by jficquette, Nov 1, 2009.

1. in many other parts of the world, they call that treason, punishable by death.

funny how on friday there was an article about how goldman would gain about $1 billion on CIT bankruptcy. Now its sunday night, CIT files for bankruptcy and the US taxpapers are out $2.4 billion.

I am not all surprised that there has not been a mccarthy-like investigation into the goldmans. Goldman on display and testifying will bring down past and present senators and presidents that might bring this country to its knees. the dollar might be cut in 1/2 overnight and with it total anarchy in every part of the world.

i forgot, congress has other more important issues to investigate such as MLB steroids use and a lousy blow job.

#11     Nov 1, 2009
  2. What is more damning is they willfully gave mortgages to individuals their own risk analysts said were no good.

What is more damning a republican WH and congress and their corporate democrat cabal enabling this type of outright fraud for a few thousand in campaign contributions.

Except for Philip the Arab bribing the entire Roman senate to approve his grasp to power, this level of corruption for this small a payout is unheard of in all history.

#12     Nov 1, 2009
  3. same with their upgrade/downgrade on a daily basis on the exchanges. they are untouchable by anyone, including congress. Damn, wished i had an ivy league degree and able to join that mob. life would be good!!

#13     Nov 1, 2009
  4. zdreg

zdreg

you're late with that comment.
    it shows you nothing has changed.

decades ago when lucky luciano visited the floor of the NYSE and observed the goings on he was quoted to say I joined the wrong mob.:D

#14     Nov 2, 2009
  5. How exactly did they win if they needed a bailout because of the bad loans on their books.

They did win the bailout money, but outside of that they were in the hole like everyone else.

#15     Nov 2, 2009
  6. the1

the1

Tell that to all the people who are unemployed and homeless through no fault of their own. Tell them how poisonous resentment is. Tell them to look the other way while Goldman walks away with billions and billions in profit and then turn and tell the entire US population that they are drinking poison and waiting for GS to die. This part may actually be true but should the nation just shrug its shoulder and fall in line like the powers that be want? For Fuck's sake, Hitler would still be in power if that were the case. Perhaps France and Britian were just being too resentful?

#16     Nov 2, 2009
  7. What about the child born in Nigeria to a mother who has AIDs? What about the hundreds of thousands who were killed by the Tsunami in 04?

My point is, understand that the corruption is there but don't go looking for ultimate truth because it will ultimately end with you choosing to be resentful.

Don't swallow the poison bro, GS or JPM or The Fed won't die anytime soon.

Resentment creates and inferior self image. It's an emotional habit, you always picture yourself in the roll of a victim. We've all been wronged, we simply cannot allow yourselves to love the feeling of self pity.

It's just an emotional habit, that's all. Just trying to be a net positive to the board.

#17     Nov 2, 2009
  8. spinn

spinn

Do you also own Washington Redskins tickets???

I understand your premise but laying on the couch half asleep all day hoping GS wont steal from you is how we got into this mess.

#18     Nov 2, 2009
  9. there are no good or bad mortgages you dumb ass. What is a bad mortgage? There is a bad mortgage borrower and there is a bad mortgage agent. GS sat from both as far away as it could possibly be. How much more bull shit are you guys throwing around here? I mean, seriously....

Who finally signs under a mortgage deal? GS or the home owner. Where did the home owner get his/her advice from? GS? GS bought pools of mortgages from guys such as Countrywide and similar guys. The difference between GS and the rest such as UBS, Citi, BS, Lehman was that GS was smart enough to dump the paper early enough when the house started burning, the others did not. Simple as that.

Idiots!!!

#19     Nov 2, 2009
  10. no fault on their own? Those who took out mortgages which they could not afford in the first place are clearly at fault. Others who got laid off during this slump are not a victim of GS but those firms who recklessly took risk they clearly could not afford. some names? Sure: AIG, UBS, Lehman, BS, Wells Fargo, Citi, and many others. GS? Possibly but honestly I believe they were more a victim of this whole housing crisis and it was above named banks which lid the house on fire. I know some will call me names, I dont care but fact is GS was smart enough to dump most of the bad paper early enough. They were not wise enough in a way that they misjudged how bad things could possibly have gotten.

Making GS responsible for laid-off people sounds as stupid as starting anti-GS threads every other day without ever actually taking risk

#20     Nov 2, 2009