Goldman mulls collapse in gasoline demand

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Michael J. Fletcher, Feb 8, 2017.

1. DallasCowboysFan likes this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I love GS research, but when WTI was $140, they had a price target of $200, then we went to below $30. oops.

Overnight likes this.
  3. Yeah, sometimes Goldman Sucks...

Robert Morse likes this.
  4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I was a SLK/GSEC client for 25 years.

5. vanzandt

vanzandt

There was a drawdown today in RBOB inventories.
    Expect prices at the pump to increase in the next month or so as refiner's clear out their winter blend and shut down for the summer blend changeover/plant maintenance.
    But there is decreased demand. Some blame it on increased fuel efficiency.
    I think people are just driving less. Not so much about economical factors, more so about about a change in the cultural mindset.
    I should work for GS.
    Naahh...

6. toc

toc

That's the difference between Technical and Fundamental Analysis. TA deals with current situation while FA tries to justify logics based on the historical precedents.

Here's my forecast: Near term oil prices might drop to mid to early 40s, but target of in and around $80 is intact in coming few quarters.

7. RRY16

RRY16

Big deal! Every jackass using Redi was also.

8. There is smth weird going on in crude and products... The cumulative build in the past few weeks has been YUGE. And yet, there's no visible dent. Moreover, spec long positioning is the highest I can recall and keeps going. All very strange.

9. People are driving more.

[​IMG]

We can blame global warming for the decrease in gasoline demand. We know that as the temperature rises, liquids expand. As explained here, : Science Clarified: "The behavior of gasoline pumped on a hot day provides an example of liquid thermal expansion in response to an increase in temperature. When it comes from its underground tank at the gas station, the gasoline is relatively cool, but it will warm when sitting in the tank of an already warm car. If the car's tank is filled and the vehicle left to sit in the sun—in other words, if the car is not driven after the tank is filled—the gasoline might very well expand in volume faster than the fuel tank, overflowing onto the pavement."

See that, warmer temperatures, aka global warming, is causing more gasoline to magically appear in the tank and thus cause people to purchase less and less of it.

10. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Ouch. I was a broker dealer with my own trading business as a floor market maker. I only used Redi to layoff risk and pairs trade.

#10     Feb 8, 2017