Goldman bans Christmas party

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by turkeyneck, Nov 14, 2009.

1. I guess you did not go to GWU!

#21     Nov 15, 2009
  2. even someone who was the very tail end of the baby boomers can rember a time when really vicious unprovoked polish jokes "polack jokes' were told wholesale and mainstream. (I'm not polish, BTW, or close to anyone who is) People who never knew a pole, or were harmed in any way by one, or who ever knew an act of foolishness by one. Poles, to their extreme credit, never made themselves to be a 'victim class'. Think about it - anyone born before 1968 knows what I say is true - you can remember the jokes, but you cant recall them being crybabys. The jokes were eventually replaced with a popular polish pope and an anti communist cold war leader Lech Wa³êsa
    ___________________________________--

I'd like to add to your post, I'm from that era and Polish. My Mom had four brothers and three sisters, my dad had 3 sisters and a brother and everyone married someone Polish.

Polish jokes and polish comments were not "teachable"moments that I can remember. What I do remember hearing was "if you can't say anything good about someone, don't say anything". It was a non starter to get po'd or feel put down.

Both of my grandfathers shortened or altered the spelling of their polish surname (but the rest of the family kept the "real name")as did a few other family members, no one thought anything of it.

No one harbored resentment, it was just something they did so they could do whatever.

My grandfather changed his name so he could become a boxer, the other, to rise throught the ranks in the auto industry, one Uncle did so to become a teacher and another a salesman.

I suppose the discrimination was everywhere but I can't ever remember anyone feeling like a victim.

#22     Nov 15, 2009

3. thanks for commenting, your comments do not surprise me at all

it's kind of funny, with all of the never ending guilt trip of real (or imagined) slights, in our draconian political correctness, the polish joke thig has been practically airbrushed from history as though it never happened. In the upper midwest, I never saw 'Jim Crow' a single day of my life, but I heard years of polish jokes, in places like 'The Tonight Show' and Readers digest - it was ubiquitous in the very early 1970s

and when I did think about it, it became crystal clear to me that polish people do NOT want pity, they are happy for it to be just forgotten

no self respecting people do

It was not my intent to bring up any bad memories that were long faded, I was pointing out how people with dignity handle tough situations

#23     Nov 15, 2009
  4. spinn

spinn

no, actually i was so fed up with the way people in this area treat each other I went to college in north carolina.

why do you mention gwu?

#24     Nov 15, 2009
  5. Fucking shocker.

Greedy jew fucks stealing billions from the entire planet, and they don't want to spend a few hundred grand on a Christian holiday party b/c it "looks bad".

What a fucking joke.

#25     Nov 15, 2009
  6. #26     Nov 15, 2009
  7. hmcp

hmcp

antismetism wont stop when dealing with small minded people if you cant get past someones religion you will never make it in trading you are just blaming others for your own failings the mkt doesnt know or care what you are.

#27     Nov 15, 2009
  8. Unless he is part of the top management of Goldman, he has nothing to do with this conversation.

God bless him and all the other honest hardworking people of all religions who are being robbed blind by the criminal thieves running Goldman.

#28     Nov 15, 2009
  9. spinn

spinn

at what point is any member of any minority or religion accountable for their actions?

#29     Nov 15, 2009
  10. hmcp

hmcp

I am accountable for all my actions.You have to live with yourself. I am from a jewish family my parents are both doctors and teachers. When I became a broker my father asked who does this benefit besides you.The most important thing is education with helping other people a close second.you cant put an entire religion in one group that just shows your ignorance.

phil

#30     Nov 15, 2009