Gold

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by ssternlight, Feb 21, 2007.

1. The mean reversion trades are very profitable...probably my favorite...they tend to be profitable immediately. So many "trends" are a psyche job to suck traders in before the reversal, in my opinion. To me, trends definitely aren't "obvious", but there's more than one way to beat this game.:)

#51     Aug 2, 2018
  2. maxinger

maxinger

In this modern age, I doubt COT data is relevant / useful.

anyway, if you find COT data useful, go ahead and use it.

#52     Aug 2, 2018
  3. I don't know why I can't get most current chart, but this is a chart of managed futures (hedge funds) long and short through 7-24-18. The hedge funds have been a dumb money indicator for the last several years now.

[​IMG]

#53     Aug 2, 2018
  4. I don't use it for day trades or swing trades. I use it for investing purposes though...when and where to accumulate mining shares. I don't really invest that much in the metals...mostly junior miners right now.

#54     Aug 2, 2018
  5. dozu888

dozu888

perhaps yours is a subset of the 'large spec' category....

https://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=GC&p=w1

here you see the large specs is net long... but is less long lately, that is in sync with your data.

#55     Aug 2, 2018
  6. dealmaker

dealmaker

""

#56     Aug 13, 2018
  7. Investors purchase gold for a variety of reasons, but the following are the most common ones:
    1. Hedge against inflation
    2. Hedge against global instability
    3. Speculate on demand growth
    4. Portfolio diversification

#57     Sep 11, 2018
  8. maxinger

maxinger

decades ago, people bought gold (and sell US$) to hedge against instability / crisis.

recently people bought US$ (and sell gold ) to hedge against instability / crisis.

#58     Sep 11, 2018
  9. SunTrader

SunTrader

And no longer true with inflation. World (the developed one anyway) is trying to stave off deflation.

#59     Sep 11, 2018
  10. themickey

themickey

On ASX today, (11.50am) gold index XGD is down 3.4%.
    That's an ominous sign, but will wait for close to see if it recovers.
    Keeping in context tho, still above 2, 3, 4, & 5 day lows, so no panic required yet.
    St. Barbara, gold mkt darling, down 9%.

#60     Sep 23, 2018