Gold vs Bitcoin

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Overnight

Overnight

It is not an argument. It is the start of a discussion. You are entering into an intellectual firestorm now.

You do not seem to understand BBS context.

election argument.jpg

You have two choices here.

1) Drop this line of thought in the Wall St. News section and start this in a new thread in the politics section

2) Drop this line of thought in the Wall St. News section.

Take your pick.

#11     Jul 17, 2019
  2. SunTrader

SunTrader

I don't own Bitcoin at this moment but if I did it would be because it is an alternative NOT substitute for cash.

And as for the gubmint shutting down anything, that is your opinion along with the rest of tinfoilhatwearers.

#12     Jul 18, 2019
  3. Just out of curiosity, Are you the same Suntrader from FF? The guy who lives in Boca Raton ?

#13     Jul 18, 2019
  4. SunTrader

SunTrader

Yep.

#14     Jul 20, 2019
  5. Gosh I remember you posting there when I started 2007 or so...is it correct? I lived in Florida for over 2 decades. Davie close to the Sawgrass Mills mall

#15     Jul 21, 2019
  6. Sprout

Sprout

That’s not really the value proposition that BTC has compared to fiat.

As for it’s comparison to gold, watch the stock-to-flow ratio. BTC will surpass Gold within a couple of years.

http://goldstandardinstitute.net/2011/07/16/stock-to-flow-ratio-a-primer/

#16     Jul 21, 2019
  7. I'm not disputing the value a cryptocurrency may have as e speculative venture. Or about the opportunity it offers compared to gold or anything else. What I'm talking about is the misconception people have about privacy and security. Due to its intrinsic "virtuality" cryptocurrencies allow transactions to be 100% traceable. Plus your money is yours as long as you have electricity, hardware, software, network access, ISP etc. And assuming authorities let you use it. Take just one of those services out and your money technically can't be used. Or even if you can use the services but is denied access to the hardware ( cellphone or computer) your money is again technically of no value. If everything goes ok, no problems. But if a situation arise and any of the services above is disrupted you have nothing.

#17     Jul 21, 2019
  8. Sprout

Sprout

I'd refer you to this excellent piece of writing:

The whole series is of high quality and gives one pause to contemplate the accuracy of the prevalent mainstream narrative.

If you just want to jump ahead to the concepts of Security and Privacy these two sections describe the issues well:

Lesson 15: Strength in Numbers

Lesson 19: Privacy is not Dead

The beauty of Bitcoin is of it's decentralized nature. There is no permission needed from any authority. The blockchain itself creates the verification with no trust necessary. With the rise of cyberbalkanization, with vpn's and the like there are options and choice not defined by geographic political boundaries.

As for your example, if any of services were disrupted we would have much more immediate problems than thinking about money. When a SHTF scenario arises, there are a lot of other things that have greater relative value than money.

As a fun note, BTC has recently been successfully transferred through the use of short-wave radio. So now with a usb sized hardware wallet, a portable solar-panel, battery and ham radio, a prepper is all set.

#18     Jul 21, 2019
  9. Overnight

Overnight

You have GOT to be kidding me. So the FCC now can have regulatory oversight over BTC transfers? And at what point in the transmission will taxes kick in for US traders? During which point of the moon bounce?

This story keeps getting better and better.

#19     Jul 21, 2019
  10. People have the right to believe in what ever they want. I believe cryptocurrencies will be the last deception by the powers that be in their scheme towards a cashless society. And I believe that in a cashless society we will not have any rights over our money.

#20     Jul 21, 2019