gold & silver sector

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by zxcv1fu, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Laziz please take that bloody grin off your face, you look like a chesire cat

Jack

#11     Jan 2, 2003
  2. Jack,

Umm. Sorry. :cool:

--laz

#12     Jan 2, 2003
  3. I posted the following question earlier (which nobody has as yet addressed).

>>Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation why gold repeatedly jumps three dollars an ounce in such a short time span ?<<

Since then I have seen a thread on E.T. which explains it all.

The thread of course is

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12367&perpage=6&pagenumber=1

If you are patient enough you will eventually come to the subject of PPT which stands for Plunge Protection Team.

Such an animal also explains why gold is continuously being pushed down whilst it is on its steady way up.

Clearly, the government isn't trying to stop the down move of the share market (probably impossible anyway) so much as trying to slow it down so there is at least an orderly trend downwards rather than a panic.

The following site (which is actually also mentioned in the above mentioned thread is for people in a hurry (I do however suggest you struggle through the whole of the thread if you have't already done so).

http://members.rogers.com/fallstreet1/plungeprotection/plungeprotection.html

Jack

#13     Jan 2, 2003
  4. Why not just buy the XAU calls on the PHLX?

#15     Jan 2, 2003
  5. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

Do I need only regular brokerage account to buy XAU option?

#16     Jan 2, 2003
  6. As long as your account is set up to trade options, you should have access to it.

#17     Jan 2, 2003
  7. Babak

Babak

GATA also has repeatedly pointed out that 'they' keep gold's rise at $2 or below a day so that it won't make headlines. Can you imagine if gold jumped by say $11 in one or two days?!!

It would be all over the papers and everyone would be talking about it. So better is it for 'them' to have a creeping gold price. That way less people come to realize that there is a huge move afoot.

#18     Jan 2, 2003
  8. yabz

yabz

In Asia people invest in gold by buying jewellry. Its not a bad idea...you get to see and enjoy your investment as well as seeing it appreciate (or not) in value. You can't wear your shares certificates to your friend's party!

If you are going to do this it makes more sense to buy 23 or 24 karat rather than 18 karat gold, as the buy/sell spread is a lot less.

www.yabz.com/gold

#19     Jan 3, 2003
  9. Ztrader ;

Iwould pass on PAAS,ABX,AEM, now they are too close to sideways trend to swing trade. I am in but if I wasnt , might scale in Jan. Even a great trend can have some steep pullbacks like most of them on 1 year chart.:cool:

#20     Jan 3, 2003