Gold only up $20???? pitiful

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by stock777, Sep 14, 2008.

1. dont

dont

Go back and see what gold did in 1987, do me a favour this thing is for mugs who believe in the end of the world.

#11     Sep 15, 2008
  2. MKTrader

MKTrader

I've been long on gold (added more yesterday) and I'm anything but livid today!

:D

#12     Sep 17, 2008
  3. btud

btud

Same here :D Added to my long position two days ago.

5 hours in wonderland. Up from 780 to 760.

Now what triggered this.

#13     Sep 17, 2008
  4. short gold-long _________ trade has to get reversed too.

#14     Sep 17, 2008
  5. garbo

garbo

George W. Bush needs to hold a press conference and restore some confidence in the markets. This is getting out of hand.

#15     Sep 17, 2008
  6. Bush talking to the nation is like Capt. Smith of the Titanic warning passengers about wet carpets

#16     Sep 17, 2008
  7. MKTrader

MKTrader

Gold bugs (and everyone else who bought gold recently) had their prayers answered today. It didn't move when you thought it should, but markets rarely have the big moves at such "obvious" points.

#17     Sep 17, 2008
  8. Actually, didn't the spike begin when the Treasury/Fed/AIG printing press news hit the wires?

What was peculiar is how long it took EUR, GBP, AUD, etc to join the stampede out of the dollar going on in gold & silver. From 10am- 12:30pm gold and EUR/USD were running in complete opposite directions. It sure built a fire under fiber as it flew 250 pips in 90 minutes once it finally got going.

#18     Sep 17, 2008
  9. It's been a long wait but patience paid off!

Now my question is can I add to my long position? Will price pullback? Believe it or not this is my first gold trade and I'm not sure what to do.

#19     Sep 17, 2008
  10. Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have now developed an interesting theory that :

1) they were shorting gold futures

2) buying hard gold, even at a small premium, but cheap because of the futures pricing.

3) They cover in a hurry when they are all in on the hard stuff. Net cost is lower than if they just bought futures.

4) now they dont have to worry about system failure.

whaddya think? This is very plausible, wish I figured it out sooner.

#20     Sep 17, 2008