Gold is now worth more than Platinum!

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by peilthetraveler, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Gold production per year 1480 tons.
    Platinum production per year about 240 tons
    Rhodium production per year about 25 tons.

Yes, platinum and rhodium are used mostly in the automobile industry, but americans are not the only people in the world that buy cars. India and china also buy cars and they both have booming economies right now.

#11     Aug 10, 2011
  2. fashion can even happen with metals. ive never seen a platinum coin, nor a platinum chain in a long time, so if investors and institutions prefer shiny yellow as a best choice than so be it, the days of market making sense are no longer, its a majority of the dollar that rules and decides i guess.

and i only said volatility in the world markets, not direction.
    volatility creates uncertainty , uncertainty creates desired security ,
    desired security creates gold mongers.

#12     Aug 10, 2011
  3. although historically gold < platinum, i dont think that your logic would justify short gold long platinum.

#13     Aug 11, 2011
  4. This company makes a 5.3 gram Rhodium coin. It is of bullion purity, but I doubt it is (or ever will be) as fungible.

http://www.elementsales.com/ecoins.htm

*** Not an advertisement, I'm not financially affiliated with them, etc. I just think it is interesting.

#14     Aug 12, 2011
  5. Illum

Illum

Gold is trust. With people fleeing to something safe, it is one of the few places to go. Of course we all know this, I'm not tryin to be a di*k.... What I mean by that is, Plat may not go up at all, it may even go down. With bank runs, it wont be about inflation, it'll be safety. I think that explains current ratio, and we all know this. But lets not assume it wont continue, If banks keep getting hammered, it shouldn't shock us to see Gold 2x or 3x Platinum.

#15     Aug 12, 2011