Gold is going to correct further, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by GlobalFinancier, May 15, 2006.

Is gold going to correct further?

1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. I don't know

15 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Don't you know what a trend is, you top-picking *$$#%$@#

13 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. 692, neutral.
    Kinda late to post here :D.

#21     May 17, 2006
  2. The wild swings in gold suggest that the bull market might be over, at least for now. If it drops, I think we'll see a lot head for the door.

#22     May 17, 2006
  3. people said the same thing about the wild swings

at much lower prices ...

the main point is that if one can take advantage
    of the volatility in this or any other market that is moving now ... one can either buy a nice bottle of
    Petrus
    or make a quick dash to bathroom
    after an afternoon of drinking bad beer
    to nurse the losses

:p

#23     May 17, 2006
  4. I think we're halfway corrected

#24     May 17, 2006
  5. Depends...

CPI up --> FED keeps rasing --> USD up --> GLD down
    Deficits up --> Debts up --> USD down --> GLD up
    Iran + Hurricanes + Peak Oil --> Oil up --> USD down --> GLD up
    Oil up --> CPI up --> FED keeps raising --> USD up ??? --> GLD ???

Which pressures will be stronger?

#25     May 17, 2006
  6. i like your post martin but also would like to add at some point inflation (reason for further rate hikes) makes gold more attractive

i am bummed as have watched gold go up 35% since my entry in mining stocks which have enjoyed a 40% rise. only to see 4-5% correction in gold (730-690) and my mining stocks are down 25-30%. im in it for the long haul and still like this sector and see this as a buying op at whatever level - but i shudder to think of the sports car i could have bought had i sold friday and bought back today. going to the bar to try to make sense of it all. sigh

#26     May 17, 2006
  7. contango

contango

If China allows the yuan to strengthen more then that will be the biggest pressure... i.e. higher domestic costs = less demand for commodities. It's the China syndrome that drove commodity prices higher in the first place and it will ultimately be the China syndrome that bursts the bubble. Interest rates, the oil price, political tensions etc.... These are all nice little puffs of air under the main thrust of Chinese growth... They won't be able to hold the brick when it eventually falls...

#27     May 17, 2006
  8. yuan reval? don't hold yr breath... china knows that will only precipitate the bang... itself imminent due to the staggering size of china npls, and overcapacity across the board, amongst other equally monstruous things... commodities black swan round the corner :))

#28     May 18, 2006
  9. mhashe

mhashe

#29     May 18, 2006
  10. of course, thats where all the fiat money will want to go, gold... i mean, what could be a better asset class than gold? plus its such a great hedge against massive 2.x% hyperinflation, innit? :)))

#30     May 18, 2006