Gold futures curve

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by JackRab, May 25, 2017.

1. JackRab

JackRab

I've been looking at the Gold futures recently...

I see the front 2 months are generally lower than the spot and after that (July at the moment) they trade higher. So basically there is backwardation for the first 60 days and after that contango...

What's the reason for the first months to trade low? Is that because you don't want to be settled in physical gold?

2. Overnight

Overnight

On which exchange do you currently see backwardation for Gold futures?

3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Where do you get the current SPOT price from?

upload_2017-5-25_21-32-44.png

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Overnight likes this.
  4. truetype

truetype

The gold forward curve is almost entirely interest-rate driven. "Nothing to see."

5. Overnight

Overnight

Indeed. From the CME standpoint, the only months that matter will be June, to August, to December.

July and October will not make a blip on the speculative radar. Physical traders may make use of them, but we low-lifes have to go with the flow.

6. JackRab

JackRab

upload_2017-5-26_11-41-38.png

7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I thought the London prices are auctions that occur twice a day. The rest of the day, they are not current. That might create what you see. I could be wrong, as I don't follow SPOT prices.

8. Overnight

Overnight

Ahh, I see. I don't know London spot stuff. I see the backwardation there though in your list.

9. JackRab

JackRab

I've got NYMEX for futures... but spot is London Gold... maybe that's why?

@truetype, instead of just blabbing something in here... you should at least try and explain GOFO and gold lease rates etcetc....

10. JackRab

JackRab

it does trade actively 24hrs... is there usually a difference in London spot and US?

#10     May 25, 2017