gold daytrading

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by rodden, Nov 21, 2003.

1. or even next week as it is holiday shortened

I find it interesting that last week on the one day that gold futures got over $400 overnight the Comex overnight trading platform went kaput for a few hours.

it was not do to trading being so chaotic at that time

#11     Nov 22, 2003
  2. do some DEC / FEB arb if I can before the end of the week

the switch settled at $1.20

#12     Nov 22, 2003
  3. Ebo

Ebo

I have been watching the YGZ03 contract for a while.
    I am ready to get involved! What are the performance bond requirements on the mini vs the big contract.
    Seth can you send me in the right direction within the CBOT/NYMEX websites? These minis do not seem very active.
    What should I trade? I am well capitilized but not sure if I am ready to trade Biggie Gold contracts.

ebo

#13     Nov 22, 2003
  4. rodden

rodden

Any idea where to get the long/short ratio on the London cash markets? COMEX ratio is 3/1 which would make a short squeeze unlikely. A shakeout seems mor probable. On the other hand, the longs are mostly big speculators who mightn't be so easily panicked; they might even be actual "investors".

Hard to read this one.

#14     Nov 23, 2003
  5. Are there any gold or silver markets that are volatile and liquid enough for scalping? What are the symbols?

How are the gold / silver mini's? Are any they decent?

Cheers,
    Scientist.

#15     Nov 23, 2003
  6. For the minis (YG and YI): volatile, yes; liquid, no. Best opportunities come every other week or so when stops get run either way, but I wouldn't call that scalping -- more akin to catch and pray :)

#16     Nov 23, 2003
  7. Thanks a lot, illiquid!

I just loaded both YG an YI, and neither look anywhere even remotely attractive. More like position trading I'd say.

I found it interesting, though, how regularly YG likes to bounces exactly between it's intraday "floor pivots". FYI, I have floor pivots in my charts by standard, and whenever I just a load a new symbol, it calculates their pivots automatically (eSignal) - So yeah, that's how I noticed.

Might make for an interesting strategy. As for myself, I think I'll stick with ES & NQ :)

Scientist.

#17     Nov 23, 2003
  8. You will definitely see opportunities if you happen to already have a position to monitor all day, but otherwise it would take a lot of patience.

But I guess you could say that for just about every market :)

#18     Nov 23, 2003
  9. traders should be out of any DEC 03

contracts today . ( check with your broker if you must be out

today )

#19     Nov 25, 2003