Gold and commodities

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by dotslashfuture, Aug 27, 2002.

1. m22au

m22au

Kicking, Easyrider, anyone else,

After some research, I found out about gold futures, but very few of those contracts trade every day.

Is the Comex part of the Nymex or another exchange?
    Which (retail) brokers allow trading the Comex contract?
    Easyrider, when you said that you have been putting your spare cash in gold, what vehicle have you been using to do this?

Kicking, there is no gold stock ETF. Thom Calandra at CBS MW has been writing about this for a few weeks now. But you can buy a gold bullion ETF - Central Fund - AMEX: CEF.

#11     Sep 29, 2002
  2. J-S

J-S

Bit of a delayed response - Soros says he sees the US dollar weakening, but then goes on to say there are no good alternatives to dollar denominated investments.

I wonder - If you want to capitalize on the fall of the USD, which currency do you trade it against? Soros seemed to put down both the Yen & Euro as possiblilities.

J-S

#12     Sep 29, 2002
  3. m22ua

Ive been buying bullion coins whenever they drop to the 300 area and the premium is reasonable. Eventually they will break through the $325 resistence and then we could see a nice move.

#13     Sep 29, 2002
  4. In a deflationary environment, you'll make money on gold as long as it stays where it is. It will become a deflationary hedge, much as it was an inflationary hedge during the times of high inflation.

While a lot of people question the potential upside, its probably better to question the potential down side. What are the odds of Gold going under 275 an ounce. Zero.

Most mines can't even produce it at that price. $290 is break even for most of them. And the lower the price goes the more mines close keeping it at an equilibrium.

Gold has very little downside. Now that most countries have sold their reserves, there is little available supply for actual delivery. If something triggered a major spike it could go to $400 in a few weeks.

Runningbear

#14     Sep 29, 2002
  5. m22au

m22au

If you are very bearish on the US economy (high levels of consumer debt, large current account defecit, potential JPM derivatives problem), then gold would be the thing to buy with proceeds of a USD short.

The next safe currency (gold being a currency) is the Swiss Franc (CHF). It's already had an incredible run this year against the USD.

Next after that would probably be the Euro.

I'd stay clear of Yen while the Japanese economy remains sick.

#15     Sep 29, 2002
  6. As pointed out in a previous post, watch JPM and the derivatives.
    In this article - about 3/4/ down - you can get an insight into JPM and the gold market.

Link:

http://www.zealllc.com/2002/jpmgrows.htm

#16     Sep 29, 2002

7. Yeah, but it takes real guts to stand in there strong and be a Hog.
    :)

Dr. Zhivodka

#17     Sep 29, 2002
  8. I know of two closed end funds involved only with gold

ASA - south african gold mining companies.

CEF - buys actual gold bullion.

#18     Sep 29, 2002
    #19     Sep 29, 2002
  10. m22au

m22au

Thanks for the post Cdntrader.

In my previous post, the gold futures I was referring to was the YG mini futures (30 ounces I think). But less than 50 contracts a day and very wide spreads. :(

Please excuse my ignorance because I'm mainly a stocks person who isn't very knowledgeable about futures.

As for the pit-traded contract, is that the one traded on the Comex, with the price quoted on sites such as Kitco.com ?

Cdntrader,
    If you don't mind sharing, who is your broker? If you don't want to say on this board, please send a PM.

#20     Sep 29, 2002