Gold A "Safe Haven" In This Market Decline?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Scataphagos, Nov 20, 2018.

1. trader99

trader99

why is this crazy? If it goes up by $50-$100 a day then that will be crazy. So far it's a pretty normal move.

Reading Market Wizards, the last great bull market in gold was the late 70s when prices were moving several hundred points a day! This is definitely not those crazy times(yet).

#61     Dec 28, 2018
  2. themickey

themickey

I remain on sidelines, cautiously bearish.
    On the one hand feel like gold is going to continue on up, but technically the evidence on my algo is gold is topping out at this point.
    So for the meantime I'm out of all gold positions and sitting pat.
    Edit: short term, if you think ETF's are good bellwethers, not so.

#62     Dec 28, 2018
  3. I am riding my Gold Mining call until early-mid Jan, US dollar topped out, it can only go down from here, and has been doing down so steadily... High 80s/very low 90s guaranteed in upcoming months due to area of economic cycle were in, I would be shocked if it got a push upwards, some are selling stocks and placing into gold as well, pushing momentum

#63     Dec 28, 2018
    trader99 likes this.
  4. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

https://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=ALL&p=m1

look at this.Besides paladium there is no single bull market. Stocks down, commodities down, bonds down, energy down, metals down. Gold isn't in bull mode until 1350 is cracked.

I personally don't like gold as a hedge and this time it looks like we're crashing but gold isn't doing anything.
    Figure out why the market has trouble (hint: corporate bonds/share buy back programs) and find a specific hedge for this.

Buying gold is like "meh, I don't know what else to do, so I'm buying maple leafs and canned meat and duck and cover"

#64     Dec 28, 2018
  5. Amen to that statement.
    1) Where's the hyper-inflation ?
    2) Where's the wage-inflation ?
    3) Where's the Chinese demand ?
    With "none" being the correct answer to each of the above, can we conclude this rally is strictly short-covering ?
    I watch Copper closely as a proxy for worldwide economic conditions.
    Look at the upside failures around $2.85 on this chart: https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/metals/base/copper_quotes_globex.html

#65     Jan 1, 2019
  6. trader99

trader99

Gold is kinda bad safe haven and a bad hedge too. Market is going down again and gold went down. Even now it's very weak.

#66     May 22, 2019
  7. maxinger

maxinger

" In time of crisis, people buy USD (and sell gold).", says the experts.

also

" In time of crisis, people buy gold (and sell USD).", says the genuine experts 100 years ago.

#67     May 22, 2019
    trader99 likes this.
  8. zdreg

zdreg

The statement is true until people no longer trust the $US.

#68     May 22, 2019
  9. Crypto

#69     May 22, 2019
    lovethetrade likes this.
  10. Long time no see brother... Hope your trading is going well!

#70     May 22, 2019
    trader99 likes this.