Going to NY in 2.5 weeks

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FCXoptions, Oct 30, 2012.

1. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Where are you from (in general approximation)? That might dictate what you should and should not do. If you aren't from the west coast, then k-town should offer some cheap, good food; Pizzas are obviously mandatory - as are bagels.

13 miles sound about right. It's a pretty long walk... but it's pretty much everything good. 59th to 14th st is easily skippable with the exception of the empire state and the public library.

#51     Nov 6, 2012
  2. We are about an hour outside of nashville. But if 59th to 14th is skippable except for those two things, do you think it would make more sense to hop on a subway to ride down to the battery park area? I am just trying to maximize our time there

#52     Nov 6, 2012
  3. Madison Square Park and the Flatiron area is worth checking out IMO, if you are on your way to Union Sq or lower

#53     Nov 6, 2012
  4. Don't foget the hi line.

[​IMG]

#54     Nov 6, 2012
  5. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Yeah. Use the subway. It makes everything super easy.

But the advice about not forgetting the flat iron is correct; Go to Eatly, which is right there (across the street from that famous triangle building) - it's like a really upscale italian market; Get the Parmisan croissant stuffed with Prosciutto.

The hi-line... in my opinion... is a bit overrated. I don't think there's much to see, and there's a WHOLE LOT of people.

Subway is worth it if it's longer than 3 stations (buy a day pass). Also remember it's a lot easier going up/down town using subway than across town, so plan with that in mind.

Finally, you can always orient yourself according to where the empire state building is in relation to that new freedom tower (a line that runs in the center, from uptown/north to downtown/south).

I'll want similar advice if I'm ever visiting nashville.

#55     Nov 6, 2012
  6. Thinking of the freedom tower, we will want to go see that area also. You can't go in the new tower though yet can you? I have been in the empire state building, but I would like to go again and my wife hasn't also.

I was planning on buying the subway passes. I figured that would make things much easier and cheaper.

Speaking of subways what is the easiest and cheapest method to get from LGA to times square? I wasn't sure if there was a connecting subway or not. I would rather do that than pay the $40 cab fair or however much it is.

#56     Nov 6, 2012
  7. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

You can't go in yet. They are still building the thing.

I've never been up the empire state building, but I see it out of my window... tell me when you plan to be up there and I'll take a picture with a timestamp or whatever.

LGA to time sq... take the Q33 to the 7 train, and then take the 7 train to time sq. Pretty easy (though I haven't done that in some time; cabs are worth it if it's not around rush hour).

#57     Nov 6, 2012
  8. You are the man! I was mainly just thinking the subway because I figured it would be a good bit cheaper than the cab. I am not on a really tight budget there, I would just like to save money where I can so I can spend it on other things instead.

Do you trade for a living and have an office over there? Or do you work a normal job there? Just out of curiousity lol. I would like to stop by the financial district also at some point.

Oh and one other thing, during the day is it freezing walking around or just pretty chilly? I am going to pack for pretty cool weather just in case

#58     Nov 6, 2012
  9. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

I trade for an institution. The view is from my living room.

The financial district is.... residential now (surprise!). But seriously, see the exchange. But there's no much else to see. Office buildings are office buildings (though the Fed is kind of cool - very castle like - don't know if you can take a tour). And obviously, most shops are no longer located in that area.

It's around 30-40 right now. I don't think it's chilly with a jacket over a sweater or something; It can be windy when you walk through the canyon of tall buildings though.

Pro-tip: take the staten island ferry. It's free - 30 minutes each way, and you can a great great view of lower manhattan from the water. Better than the cruises (though, no booze, obviously) for during the day.

#59     Nov 6, 2012
  10. That is awesome. After my first visit there I have always thought I would love to live there. Not for good but more for a couple years. I think that would be pretty cool.

I kinda figured the financial district wouldn't be as exciting as I might hope. I have been to the Fed here and got to go down in the vault and stuff, it was awesome. Im sure the one there is MUCH bigger.

I will probably do that and just wear a sweater or something under a jacket so I will be comfortable and a tobogan. I am pretty tall and have kinda bad circulation in my hands...they turn into popsicles in the cold so I might bring some gloves too haha

#60     Nov 6, 2012