Going to NY in 2.5 weeks

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FCXoptions, Oct 30, 2012.

1. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hUvllaGQqSw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#31     Nov 2, 2012
  2. The plan was to leave the 16th and come back the 19th. The hotel I called earlier in the week was on times square and said they were up and running. I probably should have booked it then. I just assumed tourism would dip and I might could get a better deal by waiting a little longer.

#32     Nov 3, 2012
  3. They cancelled the marathon, this should open up lots of rooms.

#33     Nov 3, 2012
  4. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Why time sq? As a life long new Yorker, I'm very curiouswhy out of towners pick there? Its crowded, expensive, and entirely a tourist trap. Is it because its a place you hear most about?

Just curious

#34     Nov 3, 2012
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

I think it's because of the central location. The proximity to Central Park. And the plethora of trains that all meet underground at times sq. The entire times square grid is connected to grand central and all the trains in Manhattan come together there. It's very easy for a tourist to set up shop there and get on any train in a minute without having to worry about getting on a local vs an express or having to transfer to another train or bus, etc. I don't know of any really cheap hotels on the park on the upper east or west side although maybe if you go really far up you might find some. You need to put yourself in the shoes of a tourist who has no idea where they are going and how to get anywhere.

When I moved to NY it took me a really long time to learn the subway system as it was not all that intuitive. Trains would criss cross at midtown or stop altogether and suddenly become express trains. For a tourist who only has a few days to spend in the city, they don't want to deal with these issues. Times square, or midtown, is ideally the best place for them. There's not much to see downtown around Wall Street and the Village east and west are really more ideal for people who "live" in NY, not for tourists.

#35     Nov 3, 2012
  6. nkhoi

nkhoi

go here
    Americana Inn
    69 West 38th Street, New York City, NY 10018

#36     Nov 3, 2012
  7. JamesL

JamesL

#37     Nov 3, 2012
  8. are there any exchanges that can be visited in NY? obviously i know euronext can't nyse.. but coffee ?

#38     Nov 4, 2012
  9. JamesL

JamesL

If you know someone on the NYMEX, I am sure they can get you a tour, but no more public access to exchanges.

Coffee (Sugar and Cocoa) Exchange merged with ICE 5 yrs ago.

#39     Nov 5, 2012
  10. Gild Hall in the financial district is one of my favorite hotels in the world. Plus you can get some great deals there if you ask really nice! surf

#40     Nov 5, 2012