Going to NY in 2.5 weeks

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FCXoptions, Oct 30, 2012.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

#11     Oct 31, 2012
  2. I will have to check out that live feed when I get home, it wouldn't load at work.

I have been to nyc once before, but we didn't do much. It was a family trip with my grandparents (85+) so we had a lot of downtime. But still went to the empire state building, Chicago and Spamalot the plays, Yankee's game, and a lot of shopping. That was about it. We tried going to the Intrepid, we walked a good ways to find it was moved for restoration!

Now that it is just my wife and I we will be able to get around much easier, use the subway or just walk wherever we want. So I am wanting to do a lot. The plan is get there friday morning and leave monday around lunch. I was debating on going thursday instead, we will see.

Looking at the Westin though on where to stay. Any suggestions otherwise? Also any suggestions on what to do? I am sure we will do some shopping of course, possibly go on the empire state building, central park for sure neither of us have been and we both really want to. Possibly a play also one night.

Any other ideas? Neither of us are 21 haha so bars aren't really an option.

#12     Oct 31, 2012
  3. Go to bryant park, rock center, st pats, gran central station and bloomies, trump tower (just to say you been there) those are pretty manageable in a day.

Take a cab to union square and hang out or chinatown and buy some white gold (two dollar two dollar).

#13     Oct 31, 2012
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Go see Letterman! They have people who hang out in times square that give away free tickets. Take your wife to the bar at the top of the Peninsula Hotel. Killer view. Go to the MET and Central Park. Go to the TKTS booth and pick up same day theater tickets 50% off. Almost every show is available. The NY Public Library is actually quite a site to see as well.

#14     Oct 31, 2012
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

Chinatown next to Little Italy is taken over by Italian restaurants, you better off go to Chinatown in Flushing, NY.
    you best bet is to bring along a mobile internet device then google, search nearby and scan the reviews.

#15     Oct 31, 2012
  6. Mav I have heard about that booth selling the discounted tickets, I will have to find that!

Nkhoi, I will have an Iphone with me so I will definitely put it to use finding places to go and to help in finding our way around to these places.

Any word on central park damage? I saw on their website this morning that they were closed while the damage is evaluated. I surprised my wife lastnight telling her we are going, and she was excited but worried about everything being closed. I might call around to some places and see how it is going to be. I just don't want to get there and a lot of the attractions and stores be closed from the flooding.

#16     Nov 1, 2012
  7. There are some mighty fine ladies at the Penissula roof, but i think its closed for the season----- if you look off the right hand side of the roof, facing 5th, you can see into my old office.....

The issue with the cheap booth selling tickets is the line can take hours-- not worth it if you are on a time schedule--

If you want good cheap italian and don't mind a crowd, try Serafinas
    http://www.serafinarestaurant.com/serafina/menu.html\

Best bar burger on earth-- i saw Ralph Lauren here once, he loves this dive
    http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/jg-melon/

#17     Nov 1, 2012
  8. nkhoi

nkhoi

#18     Nov 1, 2012
  9. #19     Nov 1, 2012
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

Surf, the bar service is closed on the roof of the Peninsula but you can still go out there and enjoy the view. Just dress warm!

As for the TKTS booth, the line is not that bad. If you are pressed for time obviously one should skip it. But I use to buy a lot of tickets there and it usually went pretty fast. But to save $100 to $200 it's worth it!

It's too bad the Rainbow Room is closed at 30 Rock. That was a really nice place and great view. And of course the Tavern on the Green as well.

#20     Nov 1, 2012