Going through a series of interviews

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Aquarians, Aug 15, 2021.

1. I'm not sure I follow. I am able to produce such formulas precisely because I know what I'm talking about, and my displease with "fellow coworkers" stems from them not knowing or caring what I'm talking about.

#21     Aug 25, 2021
  2. Well several months have passed and my boredom level risen enough that I succumbed to the mermaid call of another recruiter, coincidentally hiring for the very same position described here.

In summary they were asking me to do 4x the workload / effort I currently do while paying *less* than I currently make, AND REQUIRING NON-NEGIOCIABLE RELOCATION and must-work-from-an-office. Now commute is bad enough where I live, would take about 3 hours per day, but in the city they ask me to move it's even worse if I'm not to spend essentially all the money I get on renting close to the office.

Why 4x? Because:

1) I would be doing the job of both a developer and a quant. Developer stuff is bad enough to contemplate jumping through the window of a skyscraper, but quant crap is actually 2x worse than anything developerish can imagine. Afterall most developers are just failed mathematicians, no matter how they try to cover it by adding ever more mile wide and inch deep crap to the current "technology" stack. To me, as an almost PhD in math, programming is essentially a liberal arts degree. Not that there's anything wrong with it except it's failback for people who find it difficult to count without using their fingers.

2) It's a legacy codebase to them, new code base to me. There are few things more horrible in this world than a new legacy codebase, which is usually described by "increasingly complex failed attempts by generations of consultants and long-time-parted employees of solving a problem they didn't understand, cared for or even had some relevant experience in - just hack some duckttape on top of other duckttape while paycheck still delivered, then scram the fuck out with added benefit of supposed experience on CV". 2x the effort doesn't even cover it, it's more like 20x to infinity - sometimes there's effectively no hope.

So being decent, the job would need to pay in the €240,000 to be worth doing, compared to what I currently make. I saw a very similar one listed on eFinancialCareers (US office) and it paid $300,000 base + $300,000 bonus. I only asked for €120,000 though but no answer the first time. Yet it seems they still haven't found a converted goatherder in Elbonia to do the job for the €50k they are offering.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    #22     Nov 25, 2021
  3. Overnight

Overnight

So how much government dole are you collecting as you reject your 300K per year jobs that pretty much everyone else out there would kill for?

#23     Nov 26, 2021