going short

Discussion in 'Trading' started by darkhorse, Apr 21, 2002.

1. I'm curious to see how badly the stock trading community is affected by LOD (long only disease). See poll above (and be honest, or the results will be meaningless).

2. Magna

Magna Administrator

Interesting poll darkhorse, but you left off a viable 4th alternative:

"not only am I very comfortable going short, I have a bias for it and strangely prefer it". :cool:

3. Totally the opposite. Fully 70% of my trades these days are from the short side. (Understandable since we ARE in a bear market.)
    I had a period in February where every chart I saw looked like a sale. (I've recovered my ability to go long since then though!)

I must admit to being quite surprised at the idea of people suffering from long only syndrome. Not being able to go short in ANY market is almost criminal! (especially in a market like this.)

Daniel

4. true dat

though i think the ideal place to be is where one finds zero difference between the two...to "reach a state of detachment so complete that it borders on disinterest" (zen & art of poker)...

5. I completely share your sentiment, but have seen enough complaints around here and elsewhere (we want our bull market back waah waah waah) that I thought it was a valid question to toss into the mix...

6. Babak

Babak

Not disinterest....indifference. A small but crucial difference.

7. I think that was his point- indifference becomes disinterest if taken far enough...I see this reflected in my trading. When things are going well, I essentially become a machine, and I show about as much emotion in my executions as I do making grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch.

8. SHORTY

SHORTY

:D

9. Babak

Babak

Actually I thought it referred to some anatomical part....an adjective of sorts.:D :D

[just kidding]

10. "true dat

though i think the ideal place to be is where one finds zero difference between the two...to "reach a state of detachment so complete that it borders on disinterest" (zen & art of poker)..."

im not so sure about this.i know some great shorters.these guys are the guys covering +3 +8 +15 points after a few days of down action.these guys all seem to have a negitive bent to their thinking. and will tell you they almost never long.
    on the other hand the shorters i know who are comfortable with going either way seem to be scalpers.
    will be interested in how this poll comes out to see if my observations are correct.

#10     Apr 21, 2002