Going public with a system ruins it?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Martini, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Sorry, that is a complete non sequitir from any of my comments. I have no idea what you are talking about.

#41     Feb 23, 2005
  2. cable

cable

Good idea -- rephrase the problem. Rephrasing a problem is a good tool for thinking outside the box. How about this: "Is my system dependent on perfect entries and exits, and thus requires secrecy? If somebody else knows my system, does that person knowing my secret invalidate my logic?" People are afraid that others will dampen their liquidity at prime areas. That assumes that it's only that one system that will have entries or exits there, which is not realistic. Every time I make a trade, I can be relatively sure that somewhere in the world, an EMA pair has just crossed and triggered a trade, a MACD crossover has just triggered a system, or the moon just passed the house of Aquarius, triggering a trade. But strangely, I'm not worried about it. I use the 21-period EMA, should I be worried about the guy using the 20-period EMA front-running me? What percentage of the day's volume are you trading, anyway?

If your system is so fragile that it depends on having absolutely perfect entries and exits, it's a doomed system to begin with. Typical and unavoidable slippage and commissions will kill you before anything else.

Well, maybe your nerves will get you first.

#42     Feb 23, 2005
  3. Yes, but look how much more refined it is now than it was then. It is still round (perhaps more precisely so), but the refinement is in the details.

#43     Feb 23, 2005
  4. Excellent sidestep. Care to respond to the remainder of my post?

#44     Feb 23, 2005
  5. forex_king

forex_king Global Futures Exchange <br>& Trading Company

Go to www.iasg.com and see if you can find if any of these individuals sell a course or a systems.

It takes an extra-ordinary person to make ordinary money in the markets.

#45     Feb 23, 2005
  6. Sure. It, too, has nothing to do with my comments.

#46     Feb 23, 2005
  7. Thank you again. I have no doubt that those comments of yours have something to do with something or other. If not with this thread, then almost certainly with another one...somewhere.

#47     Feb 23, 2005
  8. You're welcome. What else can I say? I never said the things you are arguing against. Specifically, I certainly never, ever suggested someone not continue to improve themselves or acquire more knowledge.

If you would like to reread and try again, I'll happily have a conversation with you.

#48     Feb 23, 2005
  9. Hmm. OK, I see your point. It seems I read more into your comment than was actually there. My apologies. However, I do remain at odds with your original comment. But that's OK, too. After all, the markets are all about disagreement of opinion, aren't they? :) (Admittedly, it's better to know what we're disagreeing about. :D )

#49     Feb 23, 2005
  10. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

If any of you would like to perform a small experiment that would shed some light on this issue please do the following.

Start a new thread with something like this:

" I have a system (indicator) that consistently makes money for me. I am looking for a collaborating partner to improve it. To receive the full description of the system and its source code please PM me"

Wait 3 days and count how many people actually PMed you. My estimate would be 10 +/- 3. Try for your self.
    Cheers.

#50     Feb 23, 2005