Going public with a system ruins it?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Martini, Feb 23, 2005.

1. I do believe you mean "moot." :D

#31     Feb 23, 2005
  2. About $29.95. There are a million systems like that.

#32     Feb 23, 2005
  3. Anseld

Anseld

SOLD!

:D

yea right, buddy!!

#33     Feb 23, 2005
  4. Everything has its market value, all it takes to find it out is to put your system on the market and set a price that you would then adjust accordingly to the demand or you can keep it fixed if you do not care about liquidity...:)

#34     Feb 23, 2005
  5. jbt

jbt

ok let's disagree. sizing timing exits - all mean nothing if you've misidentified the environment. You just lose slower :).
    I spend my days with people who obsessively try to refine my "ideas" inot systems and the try to protect them. I find that amusing since I happy to shaer the basic logic with anyone.

Perhaps we are simply misunderstanding the thread. If you rephrase it by saying - will going public with your trade set-ups ruin them? Then I still have to agree with Random - no cause nothing is secret - even if you toiled 10 years and think it is. The wheel was invented long ago.

#35     Feb 23, 2005
  6. nitro

nitro

Jia,

Men can't spell, and I am white so I can't jump either :(

nitro

#36     Feb 23, 2005
  7. yenzen

yenzen

Nitro will really be disenchanted then since he spent 20 years perfecting his holy grail.

Mr. Zen

#37     Feb 23, 2005
  8. So what is your point? To simply stop trying to improve your method and arbitrarily accept someone else's mediocrity?

Everyone may know the broad strokes as it relates to the markets, but the devil is in the details. I think it is rather presumptuous to think that being involved in the markets for some years puts you in a position of knowing all there is to know and to conclude that there is no point in trying to come up with something better. It sounds like an excuse to stop working on improvement.

#38     Feb 23, 2005
  9. Martini

Martini

Okay, one reason going public with a system won't ruin the system is because there is no guarantee that enough people will even bother using it.

Hypothetical question: If someone went public with the exact same system you use and enough traders used the system, would it affect you negatively or positively?

#39     Feb 23, 2005
  10. Hmm. Was that a jab? If so, then let us be clear that you did not misspell the word so much as you used the wrong one entirely - they are not even pronounced the same way. If it wasn't a jab, then please disregard this post. :D

#40     Feb 23, 2005