Going Prop = Resume Killer?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by ozarka, Jul 27, 2006.

1. ozarka

ozarka

I read on this board that going prop is a resume killer. Why is that?

2. empee

empee

yes. Pretend you are am employer and you see it. Basically, it means your a scumbag in the normal world; and trading/trying to beat the system is unsavory character.

Please dont tell me why, blah blah blah and how its not fair. I'm just answering your question, not looking for a debate.

That is all.

3. are you planning on failing and having to go back to the corporate world?

4. ozarka

ozarka

Well assuming that did happen, couldn't I say I just did it to get additional experience?

At which point, what would they say? I work in the finance industry. I could see if you are a Doctor and you did it. People would then question if you really want to be a Doctor or not. If your heart is in it or whatever.

But if you work in finance, wouldn't it look good?

5. Surdo

Surdo

If you have 1/2 a brain you can dress it up to look like a real job. Get a few references lined up and pretend to be functional in society!

6. ozarka

ozarka

That's true, a lot of people don't know what a prop even is. Especially if they don't work in this industry.

7. Prop trading is not a resume killer at all, especially if you are successful at it. I will admit, it wont be much help if it is your sole trading experience, and you are looking for corporate trading position. I would just tell them I enjoyed the experience but it isn't what I want to do now. There is no such thing as a resume killer except maybe an entire career spent working for a bank, those guys are ruined for any other employeer.

8. I would think that being concerned about ones resume would be a prop career killer. Focus on the task at hand.

9. i guess if you fail as a trader at a prop firm, then yes you may rightly be percieved as a loser.

but if you are a successfull trader at a prop, then why the hell would you want to work for someone else anyway!

10. That's a good point, why not make a career outta prop trading... is it possible?

#10     Aug 8, 2006