Going long 100K QQQ's tommorow

Discussion in 'Trading' started by newestmember, Mar 15, 2004.

1. I am absolutely lovin it. Don't change a thing. Please let us know just when you will make your trade so we can "get a feel" for how you do it.

#21     Mar 16, 2004
  2. yeah sure ya do..

20 X/day!

and "genius" is making a mint...

ha.

:-/

#22     Mar 16, 2004
  3. tdoc

tdoc

Wow!! Does anyone understand what he just said? I love your posts, Nitro, but this one is way over my head. One thing is certain, options expiration will have a huge effect on trading this week. Love him or hate him, Cramer has some interesting comments today on the strike prices many big caps are pegged to.

#23     Mar 16, 2004
  4. it's his little joke.

it's his little way of saying how UNimpressed he is with it all.

ya see.. he's got a little "genius".

:-/

#24     Mar 16, 2004
  5. nitro

nitro

tdoc,

LOL! I am turning into Jack Hershey/Grob.

Lemme refrase, OK?

You have to look back years to have had 7+ weeks of lower or equal closings on a weekly chart. Not a single closing higher than the previous week eight weeks in a row now (1/2001 was the last time I believe.)

Better?

nitro :D :D

#25     Mar 16, 2004

6. Where did you find cramer's comments... I'd like to read them.

Thanks!

I

#26     Mar 16, 2004
  7. Trying to catch the falling knife?!?

Good luck for you, hope you don't get stopped out.

#27     Mar 16, 2004
  8. Cutten

Cutten

Putting on a short-term trade just before the Fed announces its rate decision is rather unwise IMHO. Why not wait till the close when you know their decision & comments, and how the market has reacted?

#28     Mar 16, 2004
  9. You're not the only one confused... as expiration approaches, gamma does increase, but the increase in volty acts to decrease gamma. Gamma peaks at the atm strikes, rising as volty FALLS and as time passes.

I guess he's trying to make some analog to portfolio insurance, but I don't see any causation. The option market is in equilibrium -- the increase in volty lowering gammas, and vice-versa.

I will agree that options expiration will tend to lower the stat volty thru the hedging activities of the coversion/reversal arbitrages, but not much of an influence.

riskarb

#29     Mar 16, 2004
  10. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I am speaking generically when stating "hedging" -- referring to pin risk, unwinding, et al.

riskarb

#30     Mar 16, 2004